We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 42- 17 October 2007  (Read 3027 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bulb Log 42- 17 October 2007
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
As usual I enjoyed this weeks Log immensely, some great Crocus shots and the very last picture of the hoverfly pollinating the Crocus is a cracker.

I'm pretty sure had I tried the winching manoeuvre the tree I was using as the fulcrum would have been the one to come crashing down over both greenhouses, and the tree that was supposed to come down would have stayed for posterity. I'm not a lumberjack and I'm OK ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Bulb Log 42- 17 October 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:43:24 PM »
A shame I didn't see the winch trick before I took out 3 large conifers recently - but then I wouldn't have had the fun of seeing my husband struggling with the mattock I thoughtfully bought him when he said sorry he couldn't do the job without one. ;D
Now I've got 6m x 3m of blank space to play with!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:51:39 PM »
The winch is an invaluable tool in such matters. When we  (Ian and I and David Atkinson) took out around twenty or more huge conifers to make Harold Esslemont's last garden, we did it in double quick time using the winch, just a pity it was rainingand we all got so muddy!
Ian made a super tool to remove hedging plants when we joined the two halves of our garden in 1985.
This, named the Youngs Patent Hedge Howker consisted of a lever arm attached to a big v shaped metal end, which was placed close to the base of each plant, in our case eight foot high privet, a rope slung round to tighten, then all attached to a winch nearby, hauled that hedge out in no time at all... I wish now he hadn't later scrapped it, we could have made a fortune renting it out and ,of course, he has not got the facilities to remake the device nowadays. 
Yes, there's nothing so satisfying as a bout of extreme pruning! ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »
David I sleep all night and I work all day so I am a reverse lumber jack and I will not admit to the ladies clothes.
It is important to attach a soft rope to the base of the pulling tree and attach the other end to the top of the tree you are taking out to maximise the leverage.
It is still a lot of hard work but the winch helps expose the tough roots so I can saw them through.

I wish I had found that much space Anne but all I gained was the actual space the bowl of the tree took up because I had bulba planted right up to the trunk.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:26:42 PM »
Maggi - if we buy the house we are currently keen on I will pay Ian to recreate his hedge howker.  The garden has a privet hedge down one side which is about 10 feet high ... all 146 feet of it :-\ :-\ :-\

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:58 PM »
Tony, do you plan to replace the private with a different hedge or a fence?
When we had a similar massive private hedge to remove I cut it down with a chainsaw and treated the stumps with a root killer. I put my fence posts in along the line of the old roots and found that I could cultivate right up to it gaining six feet of usable garden. None of the stumps regrew and over the next couple of years I gradually pulled the dead stumps off by hand.
Years later we decided to remove a large tree from our boundary. It needed a tree surgeon to do the cutting on this and then I considered a stump grinder to remove the stump. Very expensive. So I asked a neighbour with a JCB if he could help. Five minutes and it was out - he wouldn't even accept a bottle for his help.
If you can get a JCB or a mini digger in it can save a mountain of work.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »
Several more beauties Ian, but I think that Colchicum coustourierii is particularly good.  Would you recommend growing it in a larger/deeper pot than the crocuses? 
Yes I agree about 'Waterlily' :-X
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:50:26 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
Ashley, Colchicum coustourierii seems happy planted in a normal pot and yes a bit deeper than most crocus but I does not seem to require great depth.
I generally plant crocuses so the top of the corm is just below the half way depth of a pot and colchicums are in the bottom 1/3 of the pot.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal