Bulbs > Bulbs General

Cyclamen africanum

(1/2) > >>

David Nicholson:
On 19th February I sowed some Cyclamen africanum seed from the Seed Exchange which have been outside in my seed frame and open to the weather. I noticed today that some, but perhaps not all,  have germinated, this must have been a fairly recent event as I don't recall seeing any evidence when I last checked the frame about ten days ago. Should I put them in the greenhouse now or just leave them outside to their own devices?

derekb:
David  put them inside before the first frost (I do not think you get any) as they are not all that hardy.
Derek

David Nicholson:

--- Quote from: derekb on October 06, 2007, 04:34:57 PM ---David  put them inside before the first frost (I do not think you get any) as they are not all that hardy.
Derek

--- End quote ---

We don't get an awful lot of frost Derek but we do get some so I shall take your advice and pop them in the greenhouse at the beginning of November. Are they likely to die back or will they stay green? Thanks for responding.

SueG:
Hi David
'They' say the way to tell between hederifolium and africanun is leave them outside over the winter and the ones which survive are hederifolium!!
I think africanum doesn't need a huge amount of shelter, so a cold frame would do unless we had a very cold snap. mine have lived like that for the last couple of years.
Sue

David Nicholson:
Thanks Sue. As my greenhouse accommodates my Auriculas and Primulas during the Winter the top vents are fully open day and night; the door is always open during daytime hours unless it's foggy, and I have glass panels taken out and covered with chicken wire on the door and the end opposite the door, so it's pretty fresh in there. I think I can find a spot in there for the C. africanum though that might just be a little warmer. Should I continue to water them though?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version