Bulbs > Bulbs General

Identifying bulbs by shape!

(1/3) > >>

SueG:
Yesterday I was potting up my bulbs (please don't tell me I should have done it sooner - I've just finished an Open University course, done for fun, which took up my spare time) and 2 years ago I planted some seeds from the RHS 'Narcissus mixed'. When I tipped the pot out yesterday I had lots of bulbs which I sorted into 3 categories, slim bulbs with roots ht:w ration about 4:1, slim bulbs that were already showing a shoot as well as a roots, and 3 bulbs which were about 3.5cm long and looked like a sock stuffed with newspaper - so approximately cylindrical but slightly knobbly, the roots were relatively thick and looked 'crimped'.
Would anyone like to give their views as to the possible sort of narcissus the long knobbly bulbs might be? I'd have taken a picture but had left my camera at work.
Ta
Sue

mark smyth:
Just like us not all bulbs are uniform. Maybe the crimped bulbs are contractile roots to pull the bulb deeper. Why knock them out again for a photo?

tonyg:
Mark is right, the bulbs are trying to get deeper which pulls them out of shape.
Typically the larger narcissus species and their hybrids are most likely to find themselves too shallow in a pot, they will end up right at the bottom given time.  They might be better planted in a garden bed.

SueG:
Thats the problem, I didn't take detailed notes when I got the seed as whether it came from little narcissus or big ones (if you know what I mean!) so I could be growing King Alfred's or minatures. While it may be nice to put them in the garden, I have no where that I could risk seedlings so if I do take their picture tonight I'll put them back into an even deeper pot and hope that by next year I could trust them in my overgrown patch.
Sue

Lesley Cox:
It's worth saying that if you have bulbs to pot - or plant - it's never too late to do that, compared with NOT potting - or planting them. Better to get them into contact with moist mix or soil than to leave them indefinitely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version