Bulbs > Bulbs General

Bulb potting mix

(1/10) > >>

mark smyth:
I know Ian's going to say "go check the bulb logs"

but .... for quick and easy reference, Ian, could you tell us the mix you use for bulbs in rough percentages of soil, grit, leaf mould. Thanks

Maggi Young:
well, Mark, Maggi's saying it too! See bulb log no. 26 of 26/06/07 for potting stuff from this year...
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2007/260607/log.html
there's more elsewhere, of course... but you don't REALLY need to be spoonfed, now, do you?
what is the Bulb Log if it is not a quick and easy reference?? Watch this space for an upcoming index.... :o

Maggi Young:
By volume, two parts gravel, one part leaf mould , two parts sharp sand.

ChrisB:
Big help, thanks Maggi.  I don't have leaf mould but perhaps I'll try my wool compost, its got rotted bracken in it, instead.  Can I use this same formula for my newly obtained corydalis?  I know, I know, the bulb log, but I'm new and it takes a long time to read through four years worth.  Would cherish that index, but I know it must be tons of work.

Maggi Young:
Actually, Chris, we use this same mix for everything we grow in pots. Extra leaf mould for the "woodsy" subjects, that's all. Life is quite complicated enough without having umpteen different potting mixes, I reckon!  After all, as Joe Cartman says, "it's only something to keep them upright"  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version