General Subjects > Wisley Alpine Log – Feedback Forum

Wisley Crevice Garden project with Zdenek Zvolanek

<< < (2/6) > >>

Paul Cumbleton:
Plants needed - Can you help with the Wisley Crevice Garden?

The new Wisley crevice garden will need hundreds of plants. We would like to plant it with alpines really suited to the situation. There are crevices in all aspects – north, south, east and west and from full sun to shade, so there will be lots of differing niches for a wide range of plants. We are going to be careful to exclude anything that may be invasive, seed around too freely, get too large or be weedy or diseased.

While we will be buying some, sowing a lot of seed and taking a lot of cuttings ourselves, I thought it would be great to offer the opportunity for anyone to take part in the project by way of donating us plants, seeds or cuttings. If you have any spare material that you would like to donate we would be very grateful to have it. Remember we are looking for plants that are particularly suited to life in a crevice and not invasive things etc. If we get inundated (I hope!) I can’t guarantee to use everything sent us, but anything we can’t use on the crevice garden will be found a good home somewhere on the rock garden so nothing will be wasted. Our main planting period is planned to be in March 2011. If you want to donate something, please send it to me at the following address:

Paul Cumbleton
RHS Garden, Wisley
Woking
Surrey
GU23 6QB

Alternately, anyone visiting Wisley could pop in to the department and leave things with us. I also will be at the AGS show at Harlow on Feb 26th next year and could receive plants there. It might be worth adding that a surprising number of alpines can be propagated from cuttings taken even at this time of year – if you keep them above 5 centigrade they will often root slowly through the winter and be ready for Spring planting.

Thanks!

Paul

mark smyth:
Almost finished and looking great http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=wisley. Roll on springwhen we what plants are will be planted

Paul, are you growing your own from seed?

Maggi Young:
Mark: see Paul's post above yours.......
Posted on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:07 PM  ;)

Paul Cumbleton:
Hi Mark,
We are planning to sow well over 200 different packets of seed ourselves. Some of these we have bought, others will be from the various seed exchanges and more are donations we have received. Of these, over 60 packets have already been sown, the rest are yet to arrive. Some of course will that don't need chilling will wait until Spring to be sown. We will also be putting in at least 100 different alpines as ready-grown plants so there will be at least something to see right from the start. But I think the best things will be from those that we raise from seed and cuttings and plant in as very young plants that will establish in situ. This means it wil be probably a few years before the whole thing looks well established. A nice change from the fad for "instant gardening"!

Kind regards
Paul

Luc Gilgemyn:
It will most definitely be a feature to look out for Paul !  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version