We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria sewerzowii ssp ainae  (Read 1623 times)

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
Fritillaria sewerzowii ssp ainae
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
What would be the best compost for Fritillaria sewerzowii ssp ainae?
Also, having just received bulbs from Hoogs (courtesy Diane Clement) and finding roots strongly growing, are they from the top of the bulb or the bottom. A pic in Ians bulb log shows this feature - but is the pic of bulbs which are upside down?
I am pretty sure the roots are from the bottom but would not wish to spoil them for the sake of asking a daft question!
Confused.JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Fritillaria sewerzowii ssp ainae
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
Johnny, the roots are from the bottom and you are correct there is never a stupid question you are only stupid when you don,t ask.

I grow Fritillaria sewerzowii in my normal potting compost and it also grows well in the garden so it is not too fussy.

I am writing this from the wonderful garden of Peter Korn - I am visiting him for a few days and gave two talks at thier Bulb day yesterday to an enthusiastic audience from Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Thanks Ian.
How is Peters alpine house progressing? It always seemed a most ambitious project.
J.
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Lars S

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
Being one of those who attended the Bulb day at Peter Korns garden and listened to Ian, I can tell you that he held two very interesting talks about bulbs  :D  Thank´s again Ian !

It was also a great opportunity to purchase rare and interesting bulbs. I left the place feeling very enthusiastic about the concept of bulbs and I have now ordered a large bag of sand for making alpine and bulb beds a la mode the Peter Korn.

Johnny, Peter has definitely not given up about the alpine house. He just needed more time, he said   ;D
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Hey, Lars,  good to hear you enjoyed the day ! 
Ian tells me that he had a great time with so many bulb lovers. He was amazed to see all the changes Peter had made since his last visit. The alpine house will come for sure, in time.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal