We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 08-25 February 2009  (Read 2572 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bulb Log 08-25 February 2009
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Another great Log Ian with lots of very useful information fir a new recruit to the world of Narcissus.

Just a point about the N. romieuxii you received from Don Stead marked with three crosses. Rob Potterton mentioned this in a fairly recent post and it seems that a plant marked 'XXX' was a nurserymans way of marking a 'good 'un'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

Re: Bulb Log 08-25 February 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
Ian - It's difficult to tell from photos but the plant you have as 'Atlas Gold' looks a good deal paler in colour than mine (obtained last year from Pottertons) & also paler than the one pictured on the Forum fairly recently by Lesley. It also looks less petunioid than mine, though this characteristic does depend on the age of the flower. I wonder what Rob Potterton thinks?

The plant you have as "N. ziannicus" is very handsome. Where did it come from?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »
I don't think I'd question Ian's 'Atlas Gold' Gerry, especially in comparison with all his other, paler forms. If anything, I'd say it may be a question of imperfect light conditions for the picture. The form does seen relatively trumpet-shaped but that would be true of new flowers.

I'm delighted to see N. albidus occidentalis. I've just planted 3, part of a scrumptious parcel from Marcus in Tasmania, which arrived yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:43:41 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »
Just a point about the N. romieuxii you received from Don Stead marked with three crosses. Rob Potterton mentioned this in a fairly recent post and it seems that a plant marked 'XXX' was a nurserymans way of marking a 'good 'un'

That is a very good point David I had not thought of that - I do exactly the same giving little stars on labels the more stars the better the plant.

Ian - It's difficult to tell from photos but the plant you have as 'Atlas Gold' looks a good deal paler in colour than mine (obtained last year from Pottertons) & also paler than the one pictured on the Forum fairly recently by Lesley. It also looks less petunioid than mine, though this characteristic does depend on the age of the flower. I wonder what Rob Potterton thinks?

The plant you have as "N. ziannicus" is very handsome. Where did it come from?

Gerry I have no doubt that it is 'Atlas Gold' it always looks more yellow to the eye than to the camera and I took the picture with flash that always reduces the saturation of a colour.
If you look at the picture of Bulbs in the prop house 'Atlas Gold' is on the left just in front of the Iris and N.'Don Stead' behind it.
The tiny Narcissus sp. from Morocco is bottom left in the corner -the very yellow one centre front is the other Narcissus ex Don Stead - it is a great colour behind it is N' Craigton Gem' then Narcissus romieuxii x mesatlanticus SF151 with a seedling from albidus occidentalis to its right.

Narcissus ziannicus came as a single bulb from the Wallis stable.

Lesley N. albidus occidentalis is one of the best of them all and it has a lovely scent.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

maggiepie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »
All I can say is I am in love!!!
I think that small plunge ( with contents) would fit nicely in my little greenhouse  ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »
Ian,
Enjoyed this 'bulbocodium focused' Log very much.
I am interested in whether the hybrid Narcissus ' Don Stead ' is fertile. It is stated that hybrids between species of the Subsection Bulbocodium and Subsection Cantabricae have always proved to be sterile (Michael Salmon in Daffodils 1991-2, p. 35).
Did you ever try to obtain seed from ' Don Stead ' ?

The neat bulbocodium from Morocco is a gem!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:41:10 PM »
Helen I would parcel it up and send it over ;) but I don't think I could afford the postage.

I am interested in whether the hybrid Narcissus ' Don Stead ' is fertile. It is stated that hybrids between species of the Subsection Bulbocodium and Subsection Cantabricae have always proved to be sterile (Michael Salmon in Daffodils 1991-2, p. 35).
Did you ever try to obtain seed from ' Don Stead ' ?

Gerd
I always try and get seed from it but so far it has proved to be unfruitful. I will not give up as you never know one day it might decide to give some seed.
I have also been using it as a pollen parent and am awaiting for seedlings to flower to see if that was successful.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
Lesley N. albidus occidentalis is one of the best of them all and it has a lovely scent.
Another good reason to look forward to its flowering. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal