Bulbs > Bulbs General

South African bulbose plants 2007

(1/36) > >>

Rafa:
Hello,

I am beginning to see the results South African species seedlings

Sparaxis villosa

Diane Whitehead:
How long did it take before it flowered?  Are you growing it outside in the garden?

Lesley Cox:
Most of these little South African iris relatives are very easy and quick, sometimes flowering from seed in less than 2 years. I imagine British Columbia would be mild enough for many.

fermi de Sousa:
Hi Rafa,
that's a pretty little irid which used to be called Synnotia villosa and you may find more info about it under that name. What other species from South Africa have you got coming along? Were the seeds from a collector such as Silverhill Seeds or from one of the seedexes?
South African bulbs are a favourite of mine but we have to be a bit careful here because they can easily become weeds. I try to be careful with the ones that increase quickly.
cheers
fermi

Rafa:
Hello,

I have sowed the seeds in October 2005, so as Lesley mentioned, 2 years to have the flowering size.

The seeds of this specie are from Ron and Rachel Saunders. I'am very interesting in South African plants, specially Iridaceae (Gladiolus, Moraea, Ferraria....). Winter growing are in a glass house and Spring growing, outdoors. This one in particular was in a window. I am also interested in Ornithogalum, Albuca, Androcymbium Lapeirusia...

I grow other seeds from McMaster's, Summerfield, Dawie Human... most of the species are very young.

I thought Peter Goldblatt has included Synnotia in Sparaxis genus,http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0026-6493(1992)79%3A1%3C143%3APAOTSA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-D, I haven't full paper. So, what is the name Spararxis or Synnotia?

Best wishes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version