General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

January 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere

(1/4) > >>

fermi de Sousa:
Happy new year!
It's been a strange start to the year with a deluge affecting Central Victoria and the rivers flooding some towns.
We're going to lose our "Mediterranean" ranking if we keep getting summer rain!
Here's a summer flower which does well in pots in our garden - Talinum calycinum (syn Phemeranthus calycinus)
cheers
fermi

Maggi Young:
We know what it's like to have unexpected rain, fermi!  It's beginning to feel like the West coast - shock horror!!

ashley:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on January 11, 2024, 03:46:46 PM ---We know what it's like to have unexpected rain, fermi!  It's beginning to feel like the West coast - shock horror!!

--- End quote ---

Unexpected rain.  Now there's a novel concept ;) ;D

fermi de Sousa:

--- Quote from: ashley on January 11, 2024, 04:08:38 PM ---Unexpected rain.  Now there's a novel concept ;) ;D

--- End quote ---
Well, it was unexpected in terms of the volume, 117mm fell overnight here and elsewhere the totals were even higher, causing flooding, damaging roads and bridges - my drive to work has had to be changed because the volume of water lifted the entire bitumen sheet off the bridge over Mosquito Creek https://www.facebook.com/MozzieCreekCFA/
We're expected to now have a fairly even spread of fine and sunny days with no substantial rain forecast for the near future.
There have been a few plants in flower here:
1) Habranthus tubispathus
2) Habranthus hybrid
3) Habranthus tubispathus "Rosea"
4 & 5) An Aussie native "Monkey flower", Mimulus (syn Thyridia) repens grows permanently in a water tub. Apparently it also occurs in NZ,
cheers
fermi

MarcR:
Maggi and Ashley,

Summer rain in a Mediterranean climate is by definition unexpected. A lot of summer rain in a Mediterranean climate is and should be very unexpected.

In the 23 years I have lived in Oregon I have seen rain between June & September twice; and both times it was unexpected.

Zone 8b is very cool for a Mediterranean climate; but, what we have still is one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version