We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 16 16-04-08  (Read 1849 times)

Gerry Webster

Bulb Log 16 16-04-08
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
Ian - I agree that there is a good deal of confusion over F. grandiflora & F. kotchyana. Although Martyn Rix considered grandiflora as a subsp of kotschyana,  the old 'Flora of the USSR' regards them as distinct species & Kew maintains this distinction.  However, in the Frit Group Spring Show 2005 (report in 'Fritlllaria' no17) two distinct plants labelled F.grandiflora were shown. The first was the usually seen dark form - like yours - which probably derives via Moscow & Martyn Rix from the old type collection made at Lerik in Azerbaijan. The second, recently collected by  Bob Wallis in Iran some 50 km S of Lerik, had green & brown flowers & looked quite close to F.kotschyana. Bob told me that the green & brown form crops up in seedlings  of the dark, Lerik form. Make what you will of this. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:18:20 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 16 16-04-08
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Thanks Gerry for that information.
I find that our F grandiflora does come true from seed with little variation and it has a lanceolate nectary while kotschyana has a more ovate nectary and the tepals are a different shape.
My original one that we put up to Joint Rock did come through Martin Rix and I am convinced that it is not a form or subspecies of kotschyana so I am with Kew and the Russians on this one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:35:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Bulb Log 16 16-04-08
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
Glad to see you are hybridising away there! :D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal