Specific Families and Genera > Ferns

Ferns 2017

(1/12) > >>

shelagh:
I am going to make a daring suggestion.  There are sections on the Forum for all sorts of interest groups but there isn't one for Ferns.  Surely Brian and I are not alone in our love of Ferns. So I am hoping this catches on.

Here are a selection from our garden and also the ones in pots we use on the show bench.

Asplenium trichomanes a British native.

Blachnum penna marina one without and one with sporing fronds.

Blechnum spicant another British native and Cryptogramma crispa the Parsley fern with both sporing and non sporing fronds.

shelagh:
The Japanese painted fern, Athyrium niponicum var. pictum really stands out amongst the green.

Pellea rotundifolia often comes in baskets of  mixed plants and the judges didn't seem to think it was hardy but it has survived many winters at the bottom of the garden.

Polystichum lemmoni is one of several of our ferns I have grown from spores it is a diminiative specimen from the U.S.A.

Polystichum setiferum divislobum plumosum is another beauty.

shelagh:
Lastly, for today at least a particular favourite of Brian's. Another one grown from spores Pteris gallinopes, it comes from Limestone caves in China.  the second picture shows how it is beginning to split at the ends which will make it even more attractive.

Maggi Young:
Fair enough , Shelagh, I'll ask Fred to oblige with a Fern Section - mind you, most fern threads  that have appeared in the forum have  been ID queries  so the level of knowledge may not be great!  We'll hope for the best!   When Fred has made the section I'll move a few threads into it. to get it started.
 Cheers,
 M 

Maggi Young:
Fearlessly Fast Fred has been at work - we're in business with a fern section!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version