We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 52  (Read 1704 times)

Darren

Bulb log 52
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
Ian - would you be able to give more details of your mixed media drawing technique please?  I think your drawings are terrific.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 52
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
Thank you Darren,

I don't know if you saw bulb log 21of 2014, link below, where I described in part my working method.

I believe gardening is a form of art; after all it shares many elements with painting, sculpture and so on by using shape, form, colour and tone to create an illusion, making a statement or expressing emotion.
Gardening is for me a journey of exploration - I enjoy the plants for their extraordinary variations and how we can use these to create effects in our garden but I am also deeply interested in the science behind them, what conditions they require and their evolution. The process of creating a successful garden is more important to me than the finished product. My art has also always been driven by the process involved - exploring technique and mediums with the final painting, drawing, etc being evidence that art took place just like the garden at any moment is evidence of our horticulture and creativity. I have never based my artwork on the garden or the plants before, other than through photography, the creation of the garden itself being the creative process. I have taken a new path now and have started to explore ways to capture impressions of the garden and plants on paper in a way that the camera cannot; experimenting with mediums and techniques to express both the detail of the plants themselves and the continually changing effect that they display when planted in a mass – I will share a few with you.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2014May211400665079BULB_LOG_2114.pdf

The continual need to experiment, to see and represent things in a new way are what drives me and that is very much the case in my art works.
What you are wanting is more information on the process of the works and I will try and describe it.

I am and artist printmaker which is an artist who also uses printmaking processes to make editions or multiples of the same image from a printing block or plate of some kind. This should not be confused with the much more commonly seen reproductions which are called 'limited edition prints' where the artist has little or no input after making the original image.
As with many artists through the years I find that you can make marks using printmaking methods that you cannot make any other way but it is not always possible to repeat them so these are monoprints, one offs that cannot be repeated.

In this series of works which I call 'Leafing Marks' I have been exploring using the actual plants as my printing block and combining that with painting and drawing to create the final image.
It is very experimental and I do not use conventional printing inks but a combination of mediums such as enamel paint, road marking paint, bitumen, along with more normal drawing and painting materials.
Plants do die in the making of these works! Or at least the top growth parts do.

It is a process that I am still developing and even I find it difficult to repeat some of the effects I get in the images so I am sorry that I cannot be more specific.

I have added a few more examples for you to see.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:37:33 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
and a few more

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Darren

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
Thank you Darren,

I don't know if you saw bulb log 21of 2014, link below, where I described in part my working method.

I believe gardening is a form of art; after all it shares many elements with painting, sculpture and so on by using shape, form, colour and tone to create an illusion, making a statement or expressing emotion.
Gardening is for me a journey of exploration - I enjoy the plants for their extraordinary variations and how we can use these to create effects in our garden but I am also deeply interested in the science behind them, what conditions they require and their evolution. The process of creating a successful garden is more important to me than the finished product. My art has also always been driven by the process involved - exploring technique and mediums with the final painting, drawing, etc being evidence that art took place just like the garden at any moment is evidence of our horticulture and creativity. I have never based my artwork on the garden or the plants before, other than through photography, the creation of the garden itself being the creative process. I have taken a new path now and have started to explore ways to capture impressions of the garden and plants on paper in a way that the camera cannot; experimenting with mediums and techniques to express both the detail of the plants themselves and the continually changing effect that they display when planted in a mass – I will share a few with you.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2014May211400665079BULB_LOG_2114.pdf

The continual need to experiment, to see and represent things in a new way are what drives me and that is very much the case in my art works.
What you are wanting is more information on the process of the works and I will try and describe it.

I am and artist printmaker which is an artist who also uses printmaking processes to make editions or multiples of the same image from a printing block or plate of some kind. This should not be confused with the much more commonly seen reproductions which are called 'limited edition prints' where the artist has little or no input after making the original image.
As with many artists through the years I find that you can make marks using printmaking methods that you cannot make any other way but it is not always possible to repeat them so these are monoprints, one offs that cannot be repeated.

In this series of works which I call 'Leafing Marks' I have been exploring using the actual plants as my printing block and combining that with painting and drawing to create the final image.
It is very experimental and I do not use conventional printing inks but a combination of mediums such as enamel paint, road marking paint, bitumen, along with more normal drawing and painting materials.
Plants do die in the making of these works! Or at least the top growth parts do.

It is a process that I am still developing and even I find it difficult to repeat some of the effects I get in the images so I am sorry that I cannot be more specific.

I have added a few more examples for you to see.

Many, many thanks for this Ian. Your info does actually help me to understand the process so don't worry about the specifics!

I really do like these works. The composition really stands out and the colours used make me look at the plants in a new light.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Beautiful artwork Ian
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal