General Subjects > Travel / Places to Visit

NZ field trips December 06

(1/7) > >>

t00lie:
Southland Coast NZ part 1

Last weekend a small number of our alpine garden group visited Awarua Bay on the southern coast.We had the company of fellow forumist Howard Clase and his wife Leila on holiday all the way from the island of Newfoundland Eastern Canada.
We saw the following---

t00lie:
Part 2
Some more pics of the trip with a couple thrown in from a quick visit to the area today.

Finally --Howard with support from Leila gave an interesting talk and digital slide presentation to a larger group that night on their participation in the Newfoundland Wildflower Societys week long botanical trip .July 06 of a coastal area in Newfoundland.
Cheers Dave

Maggi Young:
Hello, Dave! Sounds like a good time had by all! And a talk from Howard and Leila, too?  It's amazing how far the SRGC forumists will go for a get together, ain't it? !! A pleasure to accompany you from my home as ever! Thanks!

Lesley Cox:
Hi Dave, these are very nice and I'm glad you had a chance to meet the Clases. I had planned to go to their 5.30pm talk here in Dunedin but at the last minute - well, about an hour beforehand, the Chair of the Trust which employs me wanted me at a no-notice meeting at the same time so I couldn't go. It wasn't the usual meeting night so I wasn't pleased. I guess Howard will rejoin us when they get home again.

I think the two thelymitras are different species. The white is T. longifolia and the blue is probably T. venosa, but maybe David can throw more light. It's a very fine blue, the one you photographed.

David Lyttle:
Hello Dave, Howard and Leila gave an excellent talk in Dunedin as well. I took them up Flagstaff and it was blowing fairly hard so we did not linger. I am in Adelaide at the moment and there is not much in the way of alpines here with temperatures in the high 30s. Here is a relative to our manuka and an Australian Cordyline related to our cabbage tree. When you take out the Eucalypts and some other major groups it remarkable how many plants from New Zealand and Australia are closely related. The alpine floras are very closely related with some species, eg Pentacondra pumila, and several genera, Celmisia, Aciphylla in common.They have big possums here as well - so big they are not too good a climbing trees!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version