We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Perth SRGC Show 2024
« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 21, 2024, 09:32:23 AM »
more plants with info then bulbs.

720568-1

720574-4
« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 21, 2024, 09:30:41 AM »
Tour of benches. Class A6 small pots   then rare plants, plants from seed.
720556-0

Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by ashley on April 21, 2024, 08:50:25 AM »
No, I never got any germination so either my conditions were wrong or the seed wasn't viable.
However Margaret or others may know if there are any particular challenges in growing the seedlings on.
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Re: Pleione 2024
« Last post by Tim Harberd on April 21, 2024, 08:16:09 AM »
   Took this pot of MaryB to our local allotment show yesterday. … It came second in its class to an (IMHO) unremarkable Amaryllis! ... I don’t mind. That’s Showing for you….

I don’t often sell Pleiones, but I did last winter. Sadly three people who received stock from me have reported poorly developed flowers on some of the plants. They have all, independently, suggested that this might be due to virus.

One of the most suspect cultivars is MaryB! The pot shown here has two ‘issues’.  An outer petal has an abnormal colour break and a flower has ‘burnt’ tips on the inner petals. Personally I’d put that down to the warm Spring.

When I first started growing Pleiones for myself, Dad warned me against trying to ‘force’ the Shantungs. Back in the 1970s, in order to cover as many AGS/SRGC shows as possible, he had experimented in bringing some pots on, with disastrous results. (MaryB is a Shepard’s Warning, so half Shantung.)

These days one doesn’t need to ‘force’ things! In fact its hard NOT to have things flowering earlier than they used to. Maybe Pleione growing (or at least the growing of some cultivars.) will become a casualty of Climate Change? I can’t be the only person who has planted out an Apricot tree in recent years! It seems reasonable that as some things move into our sphere of possibilities some other things will, sadly, move out.

Then again, maybe my stock has picked up a virus and will collapse. As it stands, the two examples illustrated are as bad as it gets. So I’m not panicking yet!
Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by Leena on April 21, 2024, 06:19:12 AM »
I've never succeeded with punicea.

I have tried it twice but never got the seeds to germinate, so I'm very excited to get seedlings this time.
Did you have trouble with them later?
« Last post by Maggi Young on April 20, 2024, 07:29:36 PM »
Really great  to hear from you Stan!  It looks a lovely show- a credit to Alison Hogg and her Team.
 I gather that this was Cyril's 65th Forrest medal - what a record!!
He is a star in the SRGC firmament for these winners, but thank goodness there are others showing too. Super to see your pix from Section II - where the future of our Shows lie.

« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 20, 2024, 07:04:20 PM »
Section 2 winners- John Duff cup for best plant in S2 won by Nicola McNee, Perth Salver for most S2 point went to  the  Wernhams, Special prize for a first time exhibitor  went to Jim Low's Primula scotica, a   fine Pleione in the non competitive section from Alex Samokin was given a merit cert finally  back in the  open section  Graham Catlow's merit cert Sempervivum.

« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 20, 2024, 06:59:20 PM »
Murray Lyon trophy for a Tayside resident went to Richard Salvin, Cox trophy for best rhodo to Dora Amateis from Dave Millward, bulb trophy for Frit  pallidiflora to Richard Green. I had the Caird trophy for a six pan class,  also  took the Middleton cup for most firsts while the Perth trophy for most points by a local grower  was won by Ian Christie.

720536-3
« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 20, 2024, 06:57:32 PM »
Cyril won the Forrest as well as several other awards.  A merit cert for Pleione Shatung Ducat, the  Bobby Masterton trophy for best Asiatic primula,  the Henry & Margaret Taylor award for best new/rare plant,  botanical cert for  Eritichium nanum

« Last post by Stan da Prato on April 20, 2024, 06:55:10 PM »
I'm cutting back on showing but did manage to go to Perth today. A very good show in a new and suitable venue  with some excellent  plants not all visible in  the first photo
720518-0
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal