We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012  (Read 52775 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012
« Reply #375 on: March 11, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Galicia pictures
Oh, My! These are great... look at that triandrus.... what a sweet thing. Well, supposing that was all you saw... it was worth the trip, in my opinion.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #376 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
Here are both  Tenuifolius and Obesus that I have for comparison. They seem a lot different but them I know very little about them. :)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
Terrific pictures! dumyat, specially N. cyclamineus with the river behind.

Michale, to me both are the same. Try to smell them tomorrow to see if they have different scent.
N. conspicuus/N. tenuifolius and subsp. obesus are plants from Extremadura (Spain) and Portugal, and I would say all of them are the same N. obesus.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #378 on: March 11, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »
It's pest not being able to go out and look at this early autumn time of year but again for me, tenuifolius has upright to lax leaves while obesus always has arching over as far as prostrate leaves, the flowers upright above them. My tenuifolius may well be wrong though as the flowers are smaller and more like nivalis.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »
David, nice photos of the possibly old cultivars.
Dumyat, I like the N. cyclamineus photo especially, but all are lovely. It is nice to see them wild.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
So is it safe to name them all Bulbocodium subsp. obesus ?

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #381 on: March 11, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »
Nothing special, just a nice clump of Tete a Tete seen on a walk, growing by a bench beside a path on a remote hillside with no other daffs for miles around. Must have been there for some time to have got to such a size. Was someone asking on here recently about virus-free stock of Tete a Tete? I couldn't see any signs of virus at all. Is all commercial stock sold now virused? I wonder if this was planted before the commercial stocks became virus-infected.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
It looks good doesn't it? It shows just why it was chosen for mass production. Common doesn't necessarily = not worth having.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #383 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
I thought it looked very good like this in a big solid clump rather than scattered around singly like you usually see in municipal grassed areas. And still very free flowering despite being congested.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #384 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Galicia pictures
Very nice. What is the plant in the second picture?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #385 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:23 PM »
It's pest not being able to go out and look at this early autumn time of year but again for me, tenuifolius has upright to lax leaves while obesus always has arching over as far as prostrate leaves, the flowers upright above them. My tenuifolius may well be wrong though as the flowers are smaller and more like nivalis.
I suspect that most of the bulbocodiums in the trade are either wrongly named or so hybridised that the identity of  their ancestors is lost in the mists of time.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »

Michael, others will no doubt disagree, but all mine, including the alleged obesus forms I have, are going to be labelled Narcissus bulbocodium(Full Stop)!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #387 on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

Michael, others will no doubt disagree, but all mine, including the alleged obesus forms I have, are going to be labelled Narcissus bulbocodium(Full Stop)!!
That seems very sensible for trade forms David. My first thought was that it  might be safe to assume that plants obtained from the collectors or raised from JJA seed are what they are said to be. However, on second thoughts, & given  the problems with identification & nomenclature, it might be a good idea to follow your suggestion  with all the yellow hoop-petticoats.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
Narcissus nanus: John Blanchard says it is not known as a wild plant.

And my folly. At re-potting time last year I found I had loads of bulbs of Narcissus 'Gypsy Queen' that I originally got from my friend Mike Quest in 2009. So, I potted up a good number and thought they might make a reasonable pot full for the bench at the South West AGS Show (Exeter Saturday 31 March). Well, you know what thought did!, here it is today with one single flower :( I bet Mike has a real pot full!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal