We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 6042 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
February 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: February 02, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
The much snow (about 1m) into which it then rained unfortunately claimed its victims (Daphne alpina)  :'( :'( :'(

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

ruweiss

Re: February 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:06:02 PM »
Bernd, I am sorry about the damage;but the wet snow was
simply too much for this big plant Some species of Daphne
split quite easy. Hope, that it survives the heavy pruning.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »
Bernd, bind up the wounded pieces back together - we  did this many  years ago with snow damage  on a  very  large  D. tangutica and it recovered.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
OK, ill try

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 09:45:59 PM »
Worth a try! the wounds from the splits on our Daphne  were  much bigger than the  ones seen on yours - hope costs nothing!

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 07:36:04 AM »
Yes. the wounds are great. I have to take a look at it. Maybe I'll leave it that way,
as we often see such snow conditions. (At a younger age it only bent - like the second one - this one didn't break)
Fortunately, I still have a second one. Unfortunately I have big problems growing Daphne from seed.
The second saw herself alone.
greetings
Bernd

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
Sorry for the damage in your garden Bernd. It is decades since we had that much snow here. Now we have 10 cm, and even that much is rare. Worse is the cold and dry weather.

It looks nice and sunny but it is very cold and dry!

679892-0

679894-1

679896-2

Last year at the same time:

679898-3

679900-4
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 12:28:53 AM »
Sorry for the damage in your garden Bernd. It is decades since we had that much snow here. Now we have 10 cm, and even that much is rare. Worse is the cold and dry weather.

It looks nice and sunny but it is very cold and dry!

What a difference Trond! I hope your Rhodos and other broadleaves won't be damaged.
Snow is actually good if it's cold and dry. These are usual winter conditions here and we always wish for more snow. Even so, it is a struggle to keep alive and looking good especially all broadleaf species. Even the tough Mahonia aquifolium can look very ratty by the time spring arrives.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
What a difference Trond! I hope your Rhodos and other broadleaves won't be damaged.
Snow is actually good if it's cold and dry. These are usual winter conditions here and we always wish for more snow. Even so, it is a struggle to keep alive and looking good especially all broadleaf species. Even the tough Mahonia aquifolium can look very ratty by the time spring arrives.

The cold weather seems to continue at least one more week so maybe we will see a degree or two above zero next Wednesday! I am afraid some plants will perish. I had wished for more snow than we have but the sky is completely free of clouds. I haven't seen a cloud in many weeks! And that is very unusual.

The low temperature has changed the snow into crystals and the sound when you trodd in it is like glass.

680169-0

The Quercus ilex may suffer from the cold and dry weather.

680171-1

Mariette

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »
After many years, we´re going to have a spell of winter , too - quite unexpected, at least 2 weeks of frost are predicted. Snowdrops, eranthis and cyclamen are no more showy, but some of the crocusses are not yet buried under the snow.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »
The cold weather seems to continue at least one more week so maybe we will see a degree or two above zero next Wednesday! I am afraid some plants will perish. I had wished for more snow than we have but the sky is completely free of clouds. I haven't seen a cloud in many weeks! And that is very unusual.

The low temperature has changed the snow into crystals and the sound when you trodd in it is like glass.

Trond,

Brutally cold weather!  :o

What impact will this have on your garden? Or is too early to make an assessment? Anyway, I hope that your garden manages well this coming spring.

Here the weather is still warm, 0.80 F (0.44 C) above average for the month of February to date, 8 February. Much needed precipitation is in the 7-day forecast. Our garden is shaping up well and many plants are in bloom. I did a late sowing of spring annuals yesterday, however I will be switching over to summer annuals with my sowings later this month. Our vegetable garden is currently very productive, supplying us with a steady supply of pot greens, salad greens, carrots, and broccoli. We are harvesting fresh navel oranges and lemons every day. Lots of fresh squeezed orange juice every morning! No need to purchase anything from the market.

Thank you for all your reports! The scenes are extremely beautiful!  8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
My friend in Kittitas County, Washington, United States tells me that they're ... " Getting back to weatherwise normal over the last 48 hours. The snowpack has risen from 84% of yearly average to 129%. Temperatures will decrease to 18F during the day and 6F overnight by the week's end. Snow depth at my site in the Stuarts is reading at 137 inches as of this morning.  We need to keep this pattern until the middle of March and then have a gradual warming trend until late May. Under "ideal" conditions I would anticipate my first trip to The Barrens in the middle of July."

You can see his blogs here: http://fiveacregeographic.blogspot.com/?view=magazine

More from my pal - "Here are the Drought Conditions. The good news is the study sites are "in the white". They're at 5800 feet and higher and under the 137 inches. The house is at 2290 feet and we have two inches as of this morning. The "Rest of the West" looks pretty dire with this current report. The University of Nebraska coordinates the data and publishes the updates every Thursday. United States Geological Survey publishes a "Drought Outlook" and I'm waiting for the most recent data to be included into their analysis. I'm hoping we remain "white". "
680181-0

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:47:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »

The Quercus ilex may suffer from the cold and dry weather.

Sad to hear this Trond. It is usual to have sunny, clear days when it gets very cold, and yes there is a specific sound when one walks outdoors.
Some of the plants may need a heavy pruning in the spring, but remain optimistic! (and wait until late spring with the pruning, I noticed that after super cold winters some plants will be more slow to resume growth).

Polar vortex upon us here, and in other parts of Canada, woke up to -17C, and it will keep going with very cold nights for a long time. We have enjoyed 2 mild winters in a row, now is pay back time.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
I find the sound of naturally falling hoarfrost crystals to be much more melodic.  Under foot, it is more of a cacophony.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Hoy

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:23:40 PM »
After many years, we´re going to have a spell of winter , too - quite unexpected, at least 2 weeks of frost are predicted. Snowdrops, eranthis and cyclamen are no more showy, but some of the crocusses are not yet buried under the snow.

Sorry to see that, Mariette, and I hope the flowers survive! They usually do when covered in snow.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal