We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Register of Primula varieties  (Read 2121 times)

Menai

Register of Primula varieties
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »
Is there a Primula Register? If so who administers it? Couldn't find anything on Google.

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Register of Primula varieties
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
No there isn't. The only kind of "control" I know of comes via the National Auricula and Primula Society where members entering seedling Primula varieties and cultivars in Shows that catch the judges eyes and win classes are invited to name them. These are supposed to be "different" to existing plants. Having said that anyone can give a plant a name and perhaps that's why so many Primula hybrids look very similar.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
Hello David, on the subject of naming Primulas. My Mother once told me that her Mother used to grow Primula auriculas. This would have been before the last war. She used to call P. auriculas,    "recklesses." Perhaps this name should be used?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
Never heard of that before. "rickerles' still gets used a lot.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
Never heard of that before. "rickerles' still gets used a lot.
my favourite was 'Cockup's Eclipse' - sadly lost to cultivation - I have a few pre WW1 Auricula show medals which were awarded to the premier plants in show - unfortunate a lot of the medals have been lost or melted down.  Current favourite 'Old England'
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal