We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2014  (Read 56715 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula 2014
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
Last Autumn I was contacted by a lady who, sadly, had recently lost her husband and she wanted some help in disposing of his Primula collection. There were a lot of marginatas, some quite old varieties and also quite a few x pubescens varieties I hadn't heard of before. Most of the plants were in a fairly bad way and a lot I had to throw away but thought with a bit of TLC some could be saved and took quite a few back home where I took cuttings of some and re-potted the others. This is one of them labelled Primula x pubescens 'Lilac Fairy'. I couldn't find any details about it in Mary Robinson or Primula Galleries so tried Google.

That turned up a picture and description on Philip Bankhead's Peninsula Primulas site, but a lot darker than my plant. It seems also to be stocked by Rob Potterton, but no picture. It also turned up a reference on Grows on You (are you reading Philip!?) describe as an allionii, and a picture posted by a 'Scotsgran' described as having been taken at the 2010 SRGC Show in Edinburgh, again a lot darker than my plant. I searched the Forum too and found a plant displayed at the Perth SRGC Show in 2010 see reply 17  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5350.msg148870#msg148870    again a lot darker than my plant. Looks very smilar to the plant shown on Grows on You.

My plant is a very pale lilac and to me looks to have a lot of marginata in it and, having seen the pictures referred to above I did wonder if my plant was mis-labelled. Anyone growing it who could help me out?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 09:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the information Mark and David.
Cyril
Scotland

Philip Walker

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
My first go so I hope I've got it right.
Primula 'Stradbrook Dainty'
Primula 'stradbrook Flounce'

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
'Flounce' is well-named, isn't it?
I have discovered that the Stradbrook primulas have managed to reach Tasmania, but I am only very recently  aware of them here. Strange world, for sure.   Cannot understand why I have not been aware of them before now.  I think they are English bred, Philip, is that correct?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
David, I don't know the answer but it's a very pretty plant.

This is one of Brian Burrow's allionii seedlings I got back in the 90s - it only has a serial number but it's a nice place.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
I learned a few days ago from a friend who works at a local nursery, that the wonderful Irish primulas which someone (Mark S?) mentioned and pictured on the Forum some months ago, or a year or so - God, what's gone wrong with my memory? - are coming to New Zealand, if not already here and the local nursery will be their sole distribution point in NZ. I am THRILLED by this as I do remember thinking when I saw them here, that I would LOVE to be able to get some of them. I think they had beautifully coloured foliage as well as lovely flowers. They may be ready for distribution from this coming spring. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 10:56:53 PM »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:40 AM »
Oh yes Maggi. Thanks so much. I love them all but especially that gorgeous 'Innisfree.' What a top plant! They should do well here in the south of NZ. We had an amazing storm here this afternoon. Heavy hail turning the garden white within seconds followed an almost terrifying thunder crashing, and I usually enjoy a good thunder storm but this was something else. Then followed solid rain so thick that we couldn't see the camellias on the other side of the kitchen lawn, just 15 metres away.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Philip Walker

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
Hello Maggi.Thats's right.I wouldn't name in on an open forum without permission,but in England.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »
One from the garden and grown from society seed P megasiflora
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Lovely, Ian , but is your plant not  Primula megaseifolia ?

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Primula all allionii 'Vera' today.  It's one of Ray Fairbairn's 429029-0
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
My first go so I hope I've got it right.
Primula 'Stradbrook Dainty'
Primula 'stradbrook Flounce'

Hello Philip and welcome (glad we flushed you out ;D). Lovely little things aren't they? I have neither of those but I do have Sradbrook Cheryl and Stradbrook Variegated to come.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
Primula all allionii 'Vera' today.  It's one of Ray Fairbairn's (Attachment Link)

and a nice one too Chris.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

This is one of Brian Burrow's allionii seedlings I got back in the 90s - it only has a serial number but it's a nice place.

Nice plant Mark and very well grown too it has a lovely shape.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal