We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2014  (Read 56714 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Primula 2014
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
The first of my Primulas this year.

First two pics are P. 'Lindum Moonlight' usually the first of mine to flower but a little later than last season when I pictured it on 21 December 2012.

Third is P. 'Mylene', one raised by David Philbey under his code DPP 485-02

Last one is one of eight seedlings I bought from Gerd Stopp and this one is under his code 1/08. I notice on his label that Gerd had written "****!!" perhaps Nurseryman's code for a "good 'un". I shall be interested to see this next year (if I don't kill it!) as it is short of a petal this time, not unusual for seedlings.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Primula 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
They're very nice David and must do much to keep you happy at this dark time of the year, especially with the dreadful weather in the UK that we're hearing about. These should keep you smiling. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
very nice David, I particularly like Mylene with that mealy eye.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
Lovely Primulas David.

Primula odontocalyx is an asiatic primula in the petiolaris section and fairly new in cultivation.  It is flowering even earlier than last year.
Cyril
Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
How  do you cultivate the Primula odontocalyx, Cyril ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
I would like to know that too.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
Primula odontocalyx seems to be quite tough so far and a couple of plants outside have come through two winters, totally unscathed.  In fact the first one to flower (5th March 2013) was growing in the coldest part of the garden.  The one I showed a picture of is grown in a pot in the greenhouse under the staging during winter.  In summer it will go outside in a partially shaded place.  Compost is the usual JI + composted bark + grit.

Jens Nielsen thinks that, coming from S. Shaanxi, it would grow in warmer/drier conditions than most Himalayan Petiolaris, so should be good for eastern Scotland.

I note seeds were offered in SRGC seed exchange this year.  My own plant set a few seeds which have germinated today.  I think this is a promising new introduction that will become easily established in gardens.
Cyril
Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Thank you , Cyril.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Primula odontocalyx seems to be quite tough so far and a couple of plants outside have come through two winters, totally unscathed.  In fact the first one to flower (5th March 2013) was growing in the coldest part of the garden.  The one I showed a picture of is grown in a pot in the greenhouse under the staging during winter.  In summer it will go outside in a partially shaded place.  Compost is the usual JI + composted bark + grit.

Jens Nielsen thinks that, coming from S. Shaanxi, it would grow in warmer/drier conditions than most Himalayan Petiolaris, so should be good for eastern Scotland.

I note seeds were offered in SRGC seed exchange this year.  My own plant set a few seeds which have germinated today.  I think this is a promising new introduction that will become easily established in gardens.

Many thanks Cyril, but would they be likely to cope with a typical Devon Summer (wet, wet and wet!) outdoors?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Worth a try David.
Cyril
Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »
Mmmmmmm!?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:54 PM »
Primula megaseifolia

Growing in a pot under the bench of my alpine house where it has been in flower for almost 6 weeks.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
A lovely ne Steve and doing better than mine which was from seed generously given by St Giles (or someone  :)) but now it has a damper climate, or rather a shady garden which retains the available damp, it is looking better this year than previously. I LOVE primulas. :D :-*
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
I don't think I showed the Primula vulgaris I found last year.

The first two photos show it against a typical wild P. vulgaris. The third photo shows it in the hedge and the last photo shows it against ?Snow Cushion

I pulled it apart and got three plants. Just now there are 5 growing points showing. I'm thinking of calling it Irish Cream
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:39:53 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »
It's very pretty Mark. It's funny - and rewarding - that even after hundreds of years growing in cultivation, new forms of "old" and favourite plants can still be found.

How are you, by the way?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal