We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Guided Tour to Eastern Turkey - May 2012  (Read 38547 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC Guided Tour to Eastern Turkey - May 2012
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
I think that Ron McBeath used to sell that form of Frit. aurea, too. I have a recollection of Jack Brownless "beating" me to the purchase of a pot at a Stirling show. :)
Now Norman Stevens gave the Stirling Show lecture one year, but I can't remember if he had plants for sale then and I'm confusing two incidents ...... can't even remember off hand what decade this was.  :-[ Will try to track it down!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:31:14 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
Dave

I have waited until now to see all the pictures and it has been a fabulous report of a very successful trip.

thanks for showing the pictures it has been tremendous.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
Great trip and great photos. I hope I can see these plants with my own eyes one day.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.

Arda - you really must go and see some of the very lovely flower vistas in your country - truly magical. I do hope you will manage to go one day......  ;D

Oron has posted some images of a lovely dark form of Onobrychis cornuta from the Israel - Syria border area. http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9179.msg249023#msg249023

This species also occurs in Turkey and for comparison below are some pics of it from the Subatan Mountains, above Kamaliye.

edit by maggi to add link
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:39:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Actually if trip were cheaper I could attend but it was way too expensive.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Could any of these be anything other than Crocus biflorus subsp. tauri?
They were all photographed on 8th May 2012 during the SRGC trip to Turkey at Kop Pass between Bayburt and Erzurum. They seem more variable than ones we saw elsewhere on the trip and one of them is very dark on the tube and base of the flowers which does not fit the description for Crocus biflorus subsp. tauri.
Is it possible that this one could be Crocus aerius or something else?
Broughton Heights, Scottish Borders

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
These are the photographs of the crocuses we found further south in Turkey, on Subatan Mountain near Kemaliye and in the Doğanşehir Mountains near Malatya. They meet the descriptions of Crocus biflorus subsp tauri given on the herbarium specimens for which Ibrahim very helpfully provided the link in 2011 (Re: Late crocuses from Turkey, June 27), and in Brian Matthew’s book.
The latter says ‘C. biflorus subsp  tauri, like subsp pulchricolor, also has blue flowers lacking the very conspicuous dark veining which is such a prominent feature of C. aerius…..’.
This seems to point to some of the Kop Pass plants being something other than C. biflorus subsp tauri or has this subspecies subsequently been found to be more variable than originally described?
Unfortunately, I cannot see any basal rings on the bulb tunic, which is even more confusing. Can anyone help, please?

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 05:44:45 AM »
These are the photographs of the crocuses we found further south in Turkey, on Subatan Mountain near Kemaliye and in the Doğanşehir Mountains near Malatya.

Crocus yakarianus!

Description is something strange and features used to separate .... so-so. But I collected it, too and at that time nick-named "caelestis aff." although it is growing very far from caelestis localities. I think I wrote about this one on forum. Now it is named by Turkish botanists. In any case it is different from taurii and name regardless of something ...... description, must be accepted.
Janis
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:57:14 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
Could any of these be anything other than Crocus biflorus subsp. tauri?
They were all photographed on 8th May 2012 during the SRGC trip to Turkey at Kop Pass between Bayburt and Erzurum. They seem more variable than ones we saw elsewhere on the trip and one of them is very dark on the tube and base of the flowers which does not fit the description for Crocus biflorus subsp. tauri.
Is it possible that this one could be Crocus aerius or something else?

It is not aerius. I regard it as Crocus taurii. In attachment my pictures from Kop gec. Now "biflorus subsp." are regarded as species! It was confirmed by cytological researches.
Janis
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:00:09 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
Thanks for a really informative reply, Janis. I really appreciate it, as will the rest of the group.

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
Thanks to Maggi for some great posts before the trip, to Dave for such a fabulous photographic diary once we got back (with additions by Claire) and now to Janis for identifying the crocuses: see previous posts from 6th, 8th and 9th  February

John Birks very kindly confirmed that the Pedicularis we saw in the Doğanşehir Mountains on 15th May was Pedicularis  cadmea.

(Edit by maggi to show crocus query pix added here rather than in another thread)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:59:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Thank you for the identification of Crocus yakarianus.  I took pictures of two crocus growing side by side in the same spot as Margaret took her photos in the Doğanşehir Mountains.  The first definitely resembles C. yakarianus, but the second isn't, is that right?
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal