We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb / cold frame construction adjacent to greenhouse  (Read 551 times)

Lyndon Whyatt

Bulb / cold frame construction adjacent to greenhouse
« on: November 23, 2022, 05:34:10 PM »
Hello,
I'm currently having a brick greenhouse constructed in the garden and the opportunity has arisen to add a cold frame. I live in Norfolk UK where we have cold (and wet) winters and hot dry summers. My queries mainly relate to optimal control of growing conditions given this.

1. I can have the frames north (at the front of the greenhouse so would look nice at least) or south facing or both. Is a mix of benefit?

2. Does the angle of the glass make a difference? I could have the front up to 6 bricks high at the back to be level with the greenhouse base and any number at the front.

3. What affect does depth have? Is deep as possible better?

4. Should the base of the frame be below soil level the same or above soil level?

5. Should I insulate or add a layer of sand to the base?

6. Is it advisable to have a gap in the back wall into the greenhouse to assist with ventilation?

7. Anybody come across the best method for opening and closing? (Props vs rope etc)

8. Has anybody any other recommendations re design?

This is all a new area to me; just trying to get as much right as I can from the off.

I should add the height at the rear is 50cm.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:27:56 PM by Lyndon Whyatt »

brianw

Re: Bulb / cold frame construction adjacent to greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 06:19:06 PM »
I think we need more details about the greenhouse. Where is the door(s) how high the brick walls relative to the glazing etc.  Roof vents or side wall vents, bench level or floor level, etc. Do you need access to the sides/ends where the frames are? Level site?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Lyndon Whyatt

Re: Bulb / cold frame construction adjacent to greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 06:59:49 PM »
Attached are the plans. Wall height of greenhouse is 52.5cm .Doors, side and roof vents as in picture. The site is (more or less) level.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal