Specific Families and Genera > Ferns

Asplenium rhizophyllum

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rick R.:
I have seen this species too, on east bluff sides near the Mississippi River in southeast Minnesota.  I find them on moss covered limestone rock, too.  I remember thinking what an interesting habitat, as they never ventured off the rock substrate into surrounding soil.

Gabriela:

--- Quote from: cohan on August 22, 2020, 02:30:32 PM ---Certainly not dry here, this year, but next year, who knows?  lol.. I'd probably have some concerns about winter shelter, too- probably need a site with no wind exposure or something... the biggest problem here would be getting a suitable boulder ;) second would be getting the ferns/spores...lol

--- End quote ---

Hardiness may be a bigger problem maybe Cohan; as far as the boulders you don't need to use such a larger one. Anything smaller in size can work; you could practice with Polypodium virginianum first :) Too dry for it here as well. I still have it but is not very happy.

Gabriela:

--- Quote from: Hoy on August 22, 2020, 08:02:10 PM ---A very interesting fern. Nothing like it here!

But I have very moist climate and lots of boulders around. Not limestone though :)

--- End quote ---

Yes, I think your climate is right Trond. I've read an account of the species, which is more frequently growing in US, and apparently any alkaline substrate will work. Also they say that in rare occasions was found growing on the ground (probably thin on top of rocks) and on decayed logs.

Rick - see what I answered to Trond. Here it was only growing on boulders though.

cohan:

--- Quote from: Gabriela on August 23, 2020, 08:14:19 PM ---Hardiness may be a bigger problem maybe Cohan; as far as the boulders you don't need to use such a larger one. Anything smaller in size can work; you could practice with Polypodium virginianum first :) Too dry for it here as well. I still have it but is not very happy.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't think they would 'need' the big rock, but that is the biggest part of the fun ;) I don't really have limestone (very small pieces in the mixed glacial stone around here.. of course it could be bought, but that is another issue), though when artificially grown, they might not care that much? I find many plants in the garden are much more adaptable compared to very specific niches in nature-- eg I have a couple of plants from the Dolomites happy in mixed stone (my soil is probably basic enough).

Gabriela:

--- Quote from: cohan on August 24, 2020, 07:59:49 PM ---I wouldn't think they would 'need' the big rock, but that is the biggest part of the fun ;) I don't really have limestone (very small pieces in the mixed glacial stone around here.. of course it could be bought, but that is another issue), though when artificially grown, they might not care that much? I find many plants in the garden are much more adaptable compared to very specific niches in nature-- eg I have a couple of plants from the Dolomites happy in mixed stone (my soil is probably basic enough).

--- End quote ---

Some species are more adaptable than others in the garden Cohan but in general the ones with a very strict substrate requirement don't usually fall in this category.
Saxicole fern species especially, are very hard to grow in soil or a different type of rock. This is the reason why some are growing localized, or are/become rare, just because they require a particular habitat.

Besides A. rhizophyllum and Polypodium virginianum, A. scolopendrium var. americana, A. ruta-muraria and Polystichum lonchitis are few other such examples.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version