We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 49  (Read 1353 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Bulb Log 49
« on: December 04, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
Ian,

As always, it is a pleasure to read your Bulb Log.

Your comments about Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' caught my attention. This autumn, I have noticed the same phenomena here in Northern California. This Iris generally blooms in early February around here and I have never seen them emerge from the ground so early. I have no idea what they might do, as the weather has also been very mild. We have had two nights of light frost, not much below 0c, really not enough, yet, to give the plants a start to a good dormant rest.

I have to admit the lack of winter chill is of concern to me. Last winter was somewhat similar to this one, so far. Last year, some of the plants in the garden clearly did not get adequate chilling hours, and suffered. I am hoping for both colder weather and, for us, rain or snow. It would be nice if the drought was over.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 49
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »
No problems with a drought here Robert, quite the opposite in fact so much rain when the plants do not need it.

Since I wrote the last log our temperatures have dropped down to -4 at night with frost lingering all day in parts of the garden.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal