We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus pests  (Read 4706 times)

Palustris

Galanthus pests
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
Do Lily beetles attack Galanthus?  Only one was found yesterday on a clump of them, not sure if it was eating them or Alstromeria plant next to them.TIA.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus pests
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
I get plenty of lily beetles on lilies and fritillaria but I've never seen one on a snowdrop, of which I have lots, not the adults nor the larvae (which you couldn't miss thanks to their excrement coverings and lack of mobility). I'm pretty sure they only feed on liliaceae.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
That's what I thought, well hoped. Not sure i want to spend as much time looking through our Snowdrop Wood for Lily beetles, bad enough chasing them off the few Lilies I grow. Thanks.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
I've seen them on Alstroemeria here so probably just exploring the new neighbourhood, lets hope they don't like it!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
This seems the right place to post these little *******

Some no shows in the garden caused me to have a look and see what was going on, I find eaten bulbs, roots and shoots - nothing left of 'Fieldgate Prelude' worth speaking of, and this is the reason.  Swift Moth caterpillar, plump and enjoying a post prandial rest until I interrupted it.  Sadly for him, he won't be feasting any more.  It's about two inches long (5 cms), they can apparently live in the soil for up to two years munching merrily on bulbs, tubers and roots that get in their way >:( :-X :'(

Be aware!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
Brian you should start spraying with a systemic pesticide
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
Don't worry Mark, I am.  Even though the internet says that it will have no effect :-\

ronm

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »
The various 'Swift Moths' are unfortunately no longer common in this country. Indeed some species are very very rare. Its very hard to identify this one as (living underground, or in stems ) the larvae are not very coloured. The moths themselves are very beautiful and are an ancient ancestor of 'modern' moths. I fully understand the 'protect our plants at all costs' mentality that can prevail, but if these are found eating something common or locally abundant, please reconsider killing them. If they are on rarities, and can be removed alive, please consider relocating them. Most are pretty much polyphagous and wont mind being moved. Also just because they are with you this year, doesn't mean they will stay. The eggs are dropped in flight, and so the chances of there being many of them in one area, or a plague is minimal.
Moths in general are under great pressure in the UK and many many species are on the verge of extinction. How many of us get upset ( rightly ) when we hear about the Japanese killing whales, or the persecution of the Orang Utang? "People in glass houses .....!!!!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
The various 'Swift Moths' are unfortunately no longer common in this country.......
That is very good news.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »
The various 'Swift Moths' are unfortunately no longer common in this country....

I'm sorry but in my experience these larvae are very common indeed and other snowdrop luminaries have reported problems with the same thing.  Perhaps we are misidentifying the larva but it is a common problem for snowdrop growers.  I have one under observation at the moment; would you like me to send it to you Ronm?   
Almost in Scotland.

ronm

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
If you feel it would help you, please do. Please pack with a little compost.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:38:29 PM by ronm »

ronm

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »
I'd like to know what very common indeed means please. From my own observations ( over 40 years ) and many others across the country ( the adults come readily to light if in the area ) these moths are severely in decline. However, if we can survey and show hotspots, etc. maybe this can be reevaluated. Please e mail or pm me if you have these in your garden. Thank you . :) :)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
I seem to remember that Olive Mason's garden was suffering from swift moth caterpillar last year Ron.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
The various 'Swift Moths' are unfortunately no longer common in this country....

I'm sorry but in my experience these larvae are very common indeed and other snowdrop luminaries have reported problems with the same thing. 
And not just snowdrop growers. Also growers of cyclamen, hepaticas & primroses to name just a few of the plants I've lost to these pests. In the case of cyclamen, two large populations nurtured over 20 years.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ronm

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
I'm not saying they dont exist anymore ! And i'm not saying that one larva will not do damage. Its the nature of the beast. But if it can be tolerated, it will be gone next year more than likely. Unfortunately many people say 'Ghost Moth' when they have sawfly ( which are above ground and will be back year after year )etc. Not saying that in this case, as it seems to me you have ghost moth. IF they are targetting Galanthus, then this is very important, and we should try to collate as much data as to numbers and timings etc as possible. I am willing to be the focus for this on this forum. But I must have positive identification and numerical data. Otherwise its all hearsay and panic.
The ghost moths lay on the wing and therefore do not identify larval foodplants in the same manner as most other Lepidoptera. Doesn't mean that they cannot somehow smell Galanthus in the air while flying past.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal