We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: crocus protection  (Read 1447 times)

John85

crocus protection
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
I plan to enclose my crocus corms in a 12mm mesh cube to protect them from hungry rodents.I wonder if there would be some problems with the shoots coming through and being damaged by the wire?

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: crocus protection
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
Hi John.

Havn't tried mesh cube so far, but I would guess that this won't be a problem for the plants, so give it a try.
I plant my own plants in 14cm plastic baskets and they do well, but I havn't had any rodents in my garden so far.
Surely they would not do well if I had because the plasic wouldn't stop the rodents.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
We use mesh of around that size to top our crocus pots and there is no problem.
Making cubes of the mesh to protect the corms from all directions when planting out in the garden would be a useful preventative against rodent attack and also make finding the corms when lifting to divide clumps very easy.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
In USA and Canada I was in gardens where it is impossible to plant any bulb out of wire cage - all would be dug out and eated. An bulbs (crocuses, too) grow very well. And harvesting is easy, too.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal