We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: the first.... Galanthus wasp wanted  (Read 31327 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: the first....
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 09:04:07 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would admit to a mild dose of croconutitis but think that C. x gotenbergensis is 'orrible and wouldn't give £3 for a bag of 20!!!! I dont like 'tricolor' either although Carol does and there are some in the garden.
As for C. mathewii that is another matter. I sowed some Exchange seed last year and have just noted that three have germinated. 30 Euro eh - sounds good for the retirement ;D.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »
Do you guys have any idea how many fab crocus you could buy for £30? Or Erythronium..... I hear my husband call out. Or Rhododendron, for that matter, or... or...

Maggi,

Perhaps I shouldn't mention the $110 Magnolia cultivar I have been eyeing off then?  At least the grafted weeping Japanese maple I bought a few months back was on sale at only $70.  I wish that we over here could buy things for the tiny prices you guys do over there....... like the Galanthus and Eranthis in trays of 100! <sob!>
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »
Do you guys have any idea how many fab crocus you could buy for £30? Or Erythronium..... I hear my husband call out. Or Rhododendron, for that matter, or... or...

Two Crocus michelsonii  ;)
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
wouldnt any Croconut pay £30 if they were offered a corm of Crocus gothenbergensis or one of the fabulous F1 hybrids I heard about.

Cheap at double the price  ;D
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 04:48:43 PM »
Worth every penny, I'm sure.... for the michelsonii !!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
Hi All

just thought I would drag the thread back to my desire to own Galanthus 'wasp'.  I guess I should have put that in the subject... - then again maybe not, this way we have had a good varied discussion (from both Galanthus and non Galanthus lovers) on just how blinking expensive some plants are.

A little reminder:...... If anyone has a Galanthus 'wasp' for less than £30 please give me a shout (a lot less than £30 hopefully!... ;)).

cheers

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: the first.... to get Galanthus 'Wasp'
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »
John I can get you a bulb of 'Wasp' but it will be £30 and from the only source I know of. I cant imagine it coming down in price as it only came on the market last year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 06:53:31 PM »
Hi Mark 

thank you for the offer to be my personal shopper - it really is very much appreciated, and I feel sure that you would manage to source a plant where I would fail.

But,....... I have set myself a spending limit on single bulbs and, as much as I am sorely tempted, must (at this time of mortgages and home creation) stop myself getting sucked into the big spending that seems to be gathering speed on Galanthus bulbs.

I am confident that one day I shall be relaxing in my garden smiling to myself at the beauty of 'wasp' - and am happy to accept the fact that a few years may pass before that time.

with my best wishes and thanks for you helpfulness

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
maybe I should cut one of mine in half and sell it to you for £15! Only joking though

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 07:21:46 PM »
Mark - don't you dare go cutting expensive bulbs into bits!  You remember what happended the last time!....

I am happy to wait patiently.

John   ;D
John

vanhouttewim

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 12:59:12 AM »
hello galanthophiles,

i don't have 'Wasp', i have lots of others which i baught for high prices.
i have many different galanthus , but Mark's collection is al least 10 x larger and unique! (when i see your pictures...;)
But .... i am going to the Galanthus Gala for the first time... and maybe i see you there....

there are double flowered hepatica for 500Euros , and if i had the chance to buy new boxwood varieties for 30 pounds , i would buy them all .
i have to travel a lot to find something new and that's much more expensive.
i have a 200dollar double- flowered Asarum and also my collection of Magnolias took a lot of my 'study'

Wim in Belgium

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:40:59 AM by vanhouttewim »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 01:00:51 PM »
see you there Wim!

Gene Mirro

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 03:51:28 AM »
Mark, if you ever decide to digitize those slides, this is what I know so far:  having them done by a scanning service is really expensive.  Scanning them on a document scanner with a slide adaptor gives very poor quality images.  Buying a pro quality scanner (like a Nikon Super CoolScan 5000) is very expensive ($1000).  Renting a pro scanner is the way to go.  I'm getting one next weekend (Friday thru Sunday) for $45.  I had them scan a "difficult" slide for me before I rented, and the results were wonderful.  These pro machines can do magic, like cancelling dust and scratches.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 10:16:52 AM »
Gene what kind of business rents them?

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »
Gene that sounds like a great idea.
I have never seen a scanned slide that I would be comfortable showing in a talk, they are always inferior to digital pictures.
I have thousands of slides many of which I can not repeat and I would like to use the occasional one in my digital talks so renting a pro-scanner sounds a good option.
I do not think that there is any one in Scotland offering this service so perhaps there is a case for an SRGC scanner that could be rented out to Members.
I will have to look into this and the first step is to see if we can get the quality I require in the final image.
Please let us know how you get on Gene both in the quality of the scans, show us some results on the forum, and the time it takes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:35:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal