We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria I/D  (Read 5017 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Fritillaria I/D
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
Sorry, Gerry. I posted the follow up pic in the wrong thread. The nectaries are small and circular and apart from the difference in flower shape the inside of the flower looks the same as the one posted by Mike I. earlier in this thread.
I also have this flowering now. I am wondering if it fits in with F.pyrenaica/hispanca?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »
Sorry, Gerry. I posted the follow up pic in the wrong thread. The nectaries are small and circular and apart from the difference in flower shape the inside of the flower looks the same as the one posted by Mike I. earlier in this thread.
I also have this flowering now. I am wondering if it fits in with F.pyrenaica/hispanca?
Simon - difficult to see the nectaries in this pic but your description is consistent with F. kotschyana. The reason I hesitated is the leaves. As I know it F. kotschyana has quite broad, shiny green leaves. Your plant seems to have quite narrow & somewhat glaucous leaves. These frits can be hell to identify without knowing the provenance.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with F. pyrenaica/hispanica.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Pauli

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »
Hello from Austria!

Can somebody help and identify this Frit for me please

Best wishes

Herbert

Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Gerry Webster

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Herbert - It would be helpful to see the entire plant & the inside of the flower. From what is visible in your photo I would guess either F. tuntasia or F. obliqua (which are possibly the same thing).
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Gunilla

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
I like the pattern on the inside of this Fritillaria but I don't know what name to put on the label.

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Gerry Webster

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »
Gunilla - the presence of a whorl of 3 leaves below the flower & the fairly broad leaves suggests F. thessala (= F. graeca subsp. thessala), a very variable plant. There are other possibilities but I think this is the most likely. Where did it come from?

Gunilla

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
Sorry Gerry, I don't know where it comes from originally. I found it on a plant market many years ago and it has grown outside in my garden since then. 

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
Gunilla

I have another suggestion for the identity of your Fritillaria - it is F. tubiformis.

It is always difficult to get any idea of scale from a picture so it is never so easy to id a plant from a picture as it is when you are standing in front of it.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
I've had this Frit for years, came to me incorrectly identified as an American species.  Any idea about what it could be?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 03:27:50 PM »
Mark

It looks like Fritillaria pontica, check and see if it has dark round nectaries that will confirm it.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerry Webster

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
Gunilla
I have another suggestion for the identity of your Fritillaria - it is F. tubiformis.

It is always difficult to get any idea of scale from a picture so it is never so easy to id a plant from a picture as it is when you are standing in front of it.
I must admit I hadn't thought of F. tubiformis as a possibility. I agree the flowers seem consistent with this sp. but the leaves? As I know it F. tubiformis has glaucous or very glaucous leaves; this also how Martyn Rix describes it in Flora Europaea. The leaves on Gunilla's plant seem to be green. Looking again I'm no longer convinced by  my suggestion of F. thessala so, in brief, I don't know.   

Gerry Webster

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Mark
It looks like Fritillaria pontica, check and see if it has dark round nectaries that will confirm it.
This plant seems to be lightly tessellated so my guess would be F. thessala. If so, the nectaries will be ovate to ovate-lanceolate.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:55 AM »
I ws going to suggest thessala as I've never seen tesselation on pontica but when the BD has spoken......one tends to keep one's own mouth closed. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »
I ws going to suggest thessala as I've never seen tesselation on pontica but when the BD has spoken......one tends to keep one's own mouth closed. ::)
From Flora Europaea (Rix):

F. pontica - "perianth......segments green, often tinged with reddish-brown but not tessellated".

F. graeca subsp. thessala (= F. thessala) -  "perianth-segments.....green, usually lightly tessellated".

Gunilla

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
Thanks Gerry and Ian.  The colour of the leaves are just like Galanthus elwesii leaves.  In the photo below I have added a Fritillaria meleagris for size comparison.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal