We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lattice Pots  (Read 25807 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Lattice Pots
« on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
Many seasoned snowdrop-growers plant their snowdrops inside lattice pots; the type intended for aquatic plants.  These pots are then embedded in the ground, or sometimes in sand.  The lattice of holes should mean that the drainage is similar to that achieved if the snowdrop had been planted directly and embedding the pots provides thermal insulation in hot or cold conditions. 

The main justification for the use of lattice pots is that the bulbs can be lifted easily and at any time of the year by lifting the pot.   I hope that these pots may also offer protection from some types of insect damage, such as swift moth larvae which seem to burrow their way through the soil.

I have been looking into sources of these pots in large quantities.  I have identified two manufacturers:

Blagdon, a division of Interpet http://www.interpet.co.uk/default1.htm
Bermuda http://www.bermudagarden.co.uk/Default.aspx

but unfortunately both say that they do not sell direct to the public so at first sight it would seem that going direct to the manufacturer is not an option.

The cheapest advertised price per pot on sale to the public that I have found (I was pricing an 11x11x11 cm pot) is 30p per pot here: http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/aquatic-basket-mini-square-p-22976.html
but there is a flat-rate delivery charge of £5.95 so you would need to buy at least 10 to compete with the 90p per pot that my local garden centre charges.

I would be interested to hear from other growers that use these pots about where they get them and how much they pay.
Almost in Scotland.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Lattice Pots
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »
I went to my local GC, the fishpond section, and asked if they did a discount if I wanted fifty of one size.  Got 20% off - might be worth asking if you want to buy over the counter.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
I went to my local GC, the fishpond section, and asked if they did a discount if I wanted fifty of one size.  Got 20% off - might be worth asking if you want to buy over the counter.

Thank you, Tony, that's a good idea.  But I need to find a garden centre with a better price than the 90p per pot my nearest centre charges.
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
i would try asking a local nursery or a garden centre if they could order you the lattice pots in bulk. I order my  1 tr pots via my local garden centre , my cousin does work there , so that might make a difference. I could ask her how much she could get them for.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »
I figure I could use about 40 pots straight away and then more as time goes by.  I don't know how many constitute a bulk order but I would be interested in any price information that Emma or anybody else can glean.
Almost in Scotland.

Warren Desmond

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »
I figure I could use about 40 pots straight away and then more as time goes by.  I don't know how many constitute a bulk order but I would be interested in any price information that Emma or anybody else can glean.

Hi Alan

May be worth having a look at ebay...I have bought baskets from this seller before and happy with the quality..They may be a bit big for what your looking for !! but they are a good price for a quantity of 25..20cm square x 10cm deep inc postage for less than £20.

Maybe worth a look !!.....seems they do different shapes & size's

link   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-of-20cm-Square-Fish-Pond-Plant-Lily-Baskets-Job-Lot_W0QQitemZ290347898564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK?hash=item439a1556c4

Cheers Warren
The Wirral

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 06:11:45 AM »
Thanks, Warren, but their price for the smaller baskets I was seeking is very high http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-11cm-Square-Fish-Pond-Plant-Lily-Marginals-Baskets_W0QQitemZ290401297518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK?hash=item439d44246e#ht_500wt_774 and they don't sell in larger quantities.  I have scoured eBay for something suitable but drawn a blank.
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
I've just ordered 50 of those 30pence ones you found.  With postage it works out at about 41pence per pot - I doubt you will find cheaper than that.

I'll try and let you know how quickly they arrive (but I am away for the weekend now  ::))

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Toft Tops

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the info on the 30p pots.  I've just ordered some too - 40p each incl postage.  Much cheaper than my local World of Water where they're 59p.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »
Oh dear, whilst I am still procrastinating, two of you have gone ahead and ordered the pots!  Let me know what they're like when they arrive.  I don't want ones with large holes. 
Almost in Scotland.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
Not lattice but my local poundland are selling quite good quality 6in plastic pots at 6 for £1, I bought 48 and will probally get some more before they run out. Pat
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:35 AM »
Did those lattice pots some of you ordered arrive yet?  If so, what is the verdict? 
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 07:35:53 AM »
Actually they haven't arrive yet - To tell the truth I had forgoten about them.  If there is no sign by next week I'll email them to ask what the delay is.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »
I dumped many round and square lattice pots last time I had a clear out of the shed :o but still have 20+.

I'm releasing all my snowdrops from their lattice pots because I think they dont like them. Mine are in 13cm round x 10cm deep and 11.5cm square x 10.5cm deep. My experience is when I lift pots to give away/swap snowdrops not enough roots have got out of the holes. The rest spiral around the base of the pots. The soil inside the pot has always deteriorated in to a rubbish very dry fibrous material which I guess is caused by a build up of old roots. I think they would have been better repotted every year.

Has anyone else found this?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »
Unfortunately for me, something that lives in my soil has taken a liking to snowdrops.  The only solution I have found so far is to grow snowdrops in large ordinary pots, but I'm running out of space for these.  So I'm planning to try lattice pots as an experiment.  Given that ordinary pots work well for me, I'm hoping lattice pots will be successful. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal