We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: News from the Crocus Group  (Read 103803 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
News from the Crocus Group
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:53:23 AM »
Here is the most important information about The Crocus Group - more will follow.

To join the Crocus Group you need to send a cheque or cash for £5GB (Or 10 euro cash) to Mr Tony Goode.  3 Woodland Road, Hellesdon, Norwich NR6 5RA. UK.

The fee is a one off which is only repeated when group funds run low, (perhaps every 5 years.)   
We are an independant and very informal group with no constitution or rules!  Just a group of folk with a shared interest.  Overseas members receive one newsletter per year, in the autumn.

The seed exchange takes place in summer and to take part all you have to do is send a request for a list to the seed exchange organiser.  Full details will follow once you join.  Please feel free to contact me via email or Personal Message if you need more info.

EDIT: Please see new notice re the Crocus Group   31st October 2015 :https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2643.msg343924#msg343924
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:50:04 PM by Maggi Young »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: News from the Crocus Group
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »
I wish the Crocus Group a long and influential future and commend the organisers on their energy and enterprise.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
All the above is true because it happened to me very recently. The only glitch was at this end because I ordered seed of very common species, as I was late in joining and the seedlist had been out for a while. Everything I ordered came, with numbers not names so MAF asked for a list of names (I'll include a list of species ordered next time). I photocopied the seedlist and sent it and they released everything except 2 packets of C. tommasinianus as not on the Bio Index. Of course it is, but mis-spelt, with just one M! More correspondence to MAF and I hope my two packets will arrive here soon. I referred them to "Crocus" by Brian Matthew, but they are a curiously thick-headed lot.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Lesley,

Did you get your misnamed tommies?  I find the Australian quarantine people really helpful myself, releasing things once it has been explained where the problem occurred.  Maybe I've just dealt with the good ones though!  ;D  I hope you got the rest of yours through.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
Lesley

I helped this year with the Cyclamen Society seed distribution, and for the Australian members we included a list of seeds with an asterix against those in the envelope.

I will endeavour to get this method for Crocus seed distribution next September and then there should be no problems with the autorities.

Arthur
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »
Yes thanks, I did get the tommies, 2 packets of mixed forms, so something nice will eventually eventuate :) I see they haven't changed to the correct spelling on the Bio Index though, so anyone else ordering it any time will have to go through the same process. Did I say something about thick-headed?

Arthur, we don't want to add extra work for the seed distributors, so I at least, will include a list of everything I order and subs, and if this can be included with the seed itself, that would solve the problem. It was just that this first time I hadn't thought about there only being numbers on the packets. I photocopied my seedlist and sent it to MAF when the seeds came, it was just that C. tommasinianus was wrongly spelt on the Biosecurity Index.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
Lesley

The seed distributor has just retired - it will give hime something to do  ;D ;) ;D

I'll probably have a senior moment and forget all about it by next September.
Arthur Nicholls

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
Lesley

The seed distributor has just retired - it will give hime something to do  ;D ;) ;D

I'll probably have a senior moment and forget all about it by next September.
I'm hoping that you don't know something I don't Art.  I'll take it that David has given up the day job .... and hope he will continue with the seed distribution for a long time yet.  (At least until he has finished the book he ought to be writing :D)

art600

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
You have nothing to worry about  ;)
Arthur Nicholls

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »
I'm still trying to get my head round envelopes of cyclamen seeds with an asterix on them. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »
I think it's nice idea... I love Asterix........ though the colour printing could bankrupt the group..... not to mention the litigation..... :-\   ......  fascinating how a typo make you think cartoon, isn't it, Anthony ::)
Asterix  for asterisk is one of my favourite "family"  words... like revelance for relevance, we always used it ....can't think of any more at the minute... though there are masses...... ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:15:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
Maggi ,

if you like asterisk so is here something for you :

Per aspera ad astra
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
I doubt that such a high ambition is for me, Hans, I am no aspirant  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
I think it's nice idea... I love Asterix........ though the colour printing could bankrupt the group..... not to mention the litigation..... :-\   ......  fascinating how a typo make you think cartoon, isn't it, Anthony ::)

Just as well it wasn't an obelisk then? ;D

Asterix  for asterisk is one of my favourite "family"  words... like revelance for relevance, we always used it ....can't think of any more at the minute... though there are masses...... ;)

Mrs Malaprop has a lot to answer for. We had a councilor well known for them: "Some people have been casting allegations at the council's policy on......" "well, we know who the alligators are and they will be......"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:01:21 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
I doubt that such a high ambition is for me, Hans, I am no aspirant  ;)
All this talk of aspirin is giving me a headache. :P

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal