We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African bulbose plants 2007  (Read 88611 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: South African bulbose plants 2007
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Diane. Now all I need to know is if anyone UK based is growing Lapeirousia oreogena?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I'd go for the glasshouse if I were you David, unless you can keep it on a patio or under the eaves somewhere.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »
I'd go for the glasshouse if I were you David, unless you can keep it on a patio or under the eaves somewhere.

Thanks Lesley, I may buy a couple and keep one in the greenhouse and one on the patio and then compare.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SueG

« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
David, have you seen the ones for sale on eBay? http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/exotic-plants-de/
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Diane. Now all I need to know is if anyone UK based is growing Lapeirousia oreogena?

David,
A few people are growing Lapeirousia oreogena. There was one on display last year at a meeting of the South African Bulb Group, but I can't remember whose it was. I have this year sown seed of it, but only one has germinated - this is pretty much par for the course as many of the Lapeirousias are notoriously erratic about germinating. I would guess that hardiness for outside is untested but it should be OK under cold glass and definitely so under just frost-free conditions. It's a great shame they are so tricky to germinate as they are superb plants - especially oreogena!!
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »
David, have you seen the ones for sale on eBay? http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/exotic-plants-de/
Sue

Shows how old fashioned I am Sue I'm not used to EBay and couldn't find any Lapeirousia on your Link
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2007, 07:22:55 PM »

A few people are growing Lapeirousia oreogena. There was one on display last year at a meeting of the South African Bulb Group, but I can't remember whose it was. I have this year sown seed of it, but only one has germinated - this is pretty much par for the course as many of the Lapeirousias are notoriously erratic about germinating. I would guess that hardiness for outside is untested but it should be OK under cold glass and definitely so under just frost-free conditions. It's a great shame they are so tricky to germinate as they are superb plants - especially oreogena!!

Paul, thanks for that I will give it a try under my cold glass.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:59:32 AM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »
I don't know anything about germinating S African bulb seeds, but wonder if that smoke stuff the Wisley people showed on one of their logs recently might help?  Just a thought......
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2007, 10:08:51 PM »
Chris, I did actually try the smoke treatment on the lapeirousias but it doesn't seem to have helped in this case. Graham Duncan from Kirstenbosch was visiting last week and he said that they have the same trouble with germination; he did also say that seed pots should be kept for two or three years as they tend to come up in ones and twos over a few years.
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »
Wonder why we always seem to want to grow the most difficult plants.  If they came up like mustard and cress I wonder if we'd be as enthralled with them....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2007, 11:02:52 PM »
Hmmmm... The Lapeirousia oreogena didn't have any problems germinating for me.  They were held dry until autumn as ( do with the majority of the South African winter growing seed) and they germinated just fine.  Maybe they're a species that isn't so difficult to germinate?  Maybe I was just lucky.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2007, 02:43:07 AM »
More South Africans in flower! Both ixias!
Ixia monadelpha growing in a sandbed and perhaps dwarfed because of this.
34244-0

It should have more of a contrasting "eye" but it's still attractive,
34246-1

The next one, Ixia rouxii, definitely has a contrasting centre! But appears a bit dirty due to the old flowers hanging on after discolouring, I think,
34248-2

34250-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2007, 03:24:51 PM »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »
Fermi, what a lovely Ixias. Is the first time I see that ones. I've just seen and cultivated the hibrids that we buy in the market.
Never imagined that exists a such beautiful Ixias.
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2007, 08:28:07 PM »
Thanks for that Mark, I'll get my German/English dictionary out ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal