We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Revolution Snowdrops  (Read 816 times)

PhilG

Revolution Snowdrops
« on: December 28, 2023, 01:38:05 PM »
Hope everyone is having a good Christmas.

I just wondered if anyone might happen to have a copy of Tom's Revolution Snowdrop site (even just some of it)?
Tom has dropped out of the snowdrop world and his blog's have now gone.

The amount of information contain in his writings was of immense value to anyone interested in snowdrops and it's loss is a great loss to all of us.
I'm really annoyed with myself, as I had a feeling this might happen and planned to back it up myself - but then forgot  >:(
I only got around to copying the words of the plicatus page.

So I was wondering if anyone else might have copied any?

Here's hoping

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Revolution Snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
Try the Wayback Machine.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 04:09:58 PM »
Anyone know what has happened to Tom?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 04:36:16 PM »
Anyone know what has happened to Tom?
He seems to have "retired from public life".  Kurt Vickery may know more.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 04:38:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PhilG

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 09:24:57 PM »
Try the Wayback Machine.
Thanks John,
I'd never heard of this before and had to google it to find out what it was.
I had managed to find a couple of cached pages after a lot of searching but not most of them.
This site does seem (from a quick look) to have the actual blogs saved (although not the photo's), but at least the words are there.
EDIT - It seems that the photo's on some pages have been saved. Perhaps if I search enough of the saved dates, I might find more of the photo's??

I'll get my A... in gear and get them saved while I can.

I've heard Tom's well, just not doing snowdrops anymore.
Whatever happened, he is a major loss to the snowdrop world. His insitu studies of so many locations and species and his honest documentation, was invaluable and the sort of information we can't get anywhere else.
He showed more than anyone else has, the variability within and between locations and how many of the current forms/varieties are actually just selected steps in a much wider amount of natural variation. I for one, will (do) greatly miss his input.

Thankfully, for now we can still read his words.

So thanks again John - from another kent grower.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:44:47 PM by PhilG »

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 01:57:47 PM »
I'm not a galanthophile, just a bulb lover and I agree about Tom's blog, so interesting and so sad that the site disappear.
Phil, if you succeed in saving Tom 's website, I would be pleased to get a copy  :)
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Mariette

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 02:06:25 PM »
Only a few days ago I tried the site and failed, wondering why. It´s really a great loss for me, too, as well, and it would be great if somebody could help to make it available again.

At least this video still is : 

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 03:32:27 PM »
Only a few days ago I tried the site and failed, wondering why. It´s really a great loss for me, too, as well, and it would be great if somebody could help to make it available again.

At least this video still is :
Mariette, very interesting video! Thank you for the link.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 03:35:12 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

PhilG

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 03:07:11 PM »
I'm not a galanthophile, just a bulb lover and I agree about Tom's blog, so interesting and so sad that the site disappear.
Phil, if you succeed in saving Tom 's website, I would be pleased to get a copy  :)
Karaba - as noted above. The site details can be found on Wayback Machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20210621105328/https://www.revolution-snowdrops.co.uk/category/snowdrops/

Only some pages have still have the photo's G. cilicicus, ikariae on Ikaria, reginae-olgae subsp. vernalis.

However, many of the 'missing' photo's can be found if you don't mind a LOT of hunting. Click on a missing photo and it takes you to a page which says that url hasn't been saved, and gives you "Click here to search for all archived pages under ".
Click on that link and you get a variable list of photo's which have been saved. I've found there seem to be 3 different lists with some differences in the photo's saved on each species page. You have to click on several different 'missing' photo's to get them up.

The saved photo's you find, aren't those related to that species page, curiously.
So you have to do this on every page of the blog and you'll end up with many of the missing photo's.
I don't know how many yet, as I'm still going through it all myself.

If you want the info, then save it to your comp. as who knows how long this will still be available??

I hope that all makes sense.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal