We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2023  (Read 5478 times)

kris

Re: Trillium 2023
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2023, 02:36:23 AM »
Herman nice large clumps. I love it. I can only grow with one or two shoots maximum.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2023, 04:27:22 PM »
This is my biggest T.chloropetalum. I bought it from Dryad maybe 8 years ago, and it has formed a really tight clump.
The second is T.chloropetalum grown from seeds from Dave and I like this a lot.
T.luteum yesterday is still in bud, though it grows close to the yellow chloropetalum. What I'm asking can T.chloropetalum come in yellow?
All it's siblings are red.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2023, 05:25:20 PM »
What I'm asking can T.chloropetalum come in yellow?
Yes, I think they can!  Ian Y. writes in tomorrow's Bulb Log about how many hybrids arise iin our garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2023, 07:34:43 AM »
Yes, I think they can!  Ian Y. writes in tomorrow's Bulb Log about how many hybrids arise iin our garden.

Maggi, thank you!  :)
I think this yellow is really nice.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »
This is my biggest T.chloropetalum. I bought it from Dryad maybe 8 years ago, and it has formed a really tight clump.
T.luteum yesterday is still in bud, though it grows close to the yellow chloropetalum. What I'm asking can T.chloropetalum come in yellow?
Leena, to be sure look at the stamens, for chloropetalum they are about 1cm longer than the ovary and with luteum a only few mm longer. The berry is also different, you will see in a few weeks. Luteum has a lemon scent.
Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2023, 08:13:44 AM »
 What I'm asking can T.chloropetalum come in yellow?

Lovely Trilliums all .
Yes there are yellow chloropetalums Leena. On INaturalist there are postings showing the stunning variation of chloropetalum found in the wild including yellows …... Similar to Ian's comments in his latest Bulb Log I no longer try to identify most of the Trilliums in our garden because being grown in close proximity hybrids appear reqularly from seed and I do not hand pollinate. While weeding in the garden recently I saw a number of noses poking through the soil althought it will be a few months until we see colour here in NZ.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leena

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2023, 07:30:07 AM »
Yes there are yellow chloropetalums Leena. On INaturalist there are postings showing the stunning variation of chloropetalum found in the wild including yellows

Thank you Dave. :) I love these all.
Here are some other Trilliums from your seeds, browinsh red and purplish red. :)

Leena

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2023, 07:32:49 AM »
Leena, to be sure look at the stamens, for chloropetalum they are about 1cm longer than the ovary and with luteum a only few mm longer. The berry is also different, you will see in a few weeks. Luteum has a lemon scent.

Herman, the stamens are clearly longer than the ovary in the yellow as well as red ones. T. luteum hasn't opened yet.
I don't mind if they are hybrids, they are such lovely woodland plants and they flower quite a long time compared to many other flowers.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2023, 09:00:48 AM »
Trillium lancifolium

Trillium discolor
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2024, 03:00:16 PM »
These pictures are from last May.
I have sown these plants from seed ex in 2015 and I don't know anymore what they are. They are either T.rugelii or Trillium vaseyi album x sulcatum. The other one has died before flowering and I don't know which one is left. What do you think which one they are? They are late flowering, almost latest one I have at the end of May. Only T.luteum is later.

The flower in the bottom of the second picture is from a different plant, it is T.erectum (hybrid), but the two nodding flowers belong to this unnamed plant.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 03:01:53 PM by Leena »

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2024, 04:07:47 PM »
These pictures are from last May.
I have sown these plants from seed ex in 2015 and I don't know anymore what they are. They are either T.rugelii or Trillium vaseyi album x sulcatum. The other one has died before flowering and I don't know which one is left. What do you think which one they are? They are late flowering, almost latest one I have at the end of May. Only T.luteum is later.
The flower in the bottom of the second picture is from a different plant, it is T.erectum (hybrid), but the two nodding flowers belong to this unnamed plant.
Leena, I do't believe it is rugelii, so Trillium vaseyi album x sulcatum is possible.
I have added Trillium rugelii.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2024, 06:44:00 AM »
Herman, thank you! :) You are right, mine doesn't look like your T.rugelii, so it is that hybrid (or sown as such). I had planted the seedlings close to each other when they were small, and now both labels were left but only one plant. Anyway it is nice different Trillium.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal