We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2023  (Read 5479 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Trillium 2023
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Leena, your Trillium nivale seem to set very vital seeds. Here never.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 07:46:34 AM »
I know nivale is a very early species

T.nivale was coming up two weeks ago before the new snow came. Yesterday I noticed it coming through snow. :)
-5C still last night.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 11:27:30 AM »
Leena, I am looking forward to see the flower!  :)
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2023, 07:32:46 PM »
Snow is melting now fast, so I hope T.nivale will flower open it's flower in a week or so. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 06:47:05 AM »
Trillium nivale, indeed!  :) A great success to grow them in such numbers in the future, Leena!

@ partisangardener: my trilliums occasionally don´t come up for one year or more, most likely due to slug damage. An older gardening friend told me that she planted a lot of bought trilliums, but hardly saw any of them the next years. After she started to control slugs she had better success with her trilliums.

@ Herman, You really do grow an impressive collection and big clumps of trilliums! Did You notice any differences regarding slug damage among the species?

Most of my trilliums are grown from seed, like this Tr. kurabayashii.

The red colouring of the flowers varies slightly.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »
Trillium nivale, indeed!  :) A great success to grow them in such numbers in the future, Leena!

@ partisangardener: my trilliums occasionally don´t come up for one year or more, most likely due to slug damage. An older gardening friend told me that she planted a lot of bought trilliums, but hardly saw any of them the next years. After she started to control slugs she had better success with her trilliums.

@ Herman, You really do grow an impressive collection and big clumps of trilliums! Did You notice any differences regarding slug damage among the species?

Most of my trilliums are grown from seed, like this Tr. kurabayashii.

Mariette, I sprinkle granules against the snails early in the spring. Prevention is better than cure. This year there was more damage at the leaves due to large temperature fluctuations, a lot of rain and hail in March.
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Thank You, Herman! Gardening surrounded by paddocks and wasteland, slugs tend to creep in my garden all the time they are active. Therefore, I gave up bothering with them. Despite the often very wet condtitions due to our heavy clay, a good deal of trilliums survive, the sessile ones doing better than the petiolated.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2023, 09:41:32 AM »
Trillium pusillum var. pusillum

Trillium sessile (true)

Trillium ludovicianum
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 09:43:36 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

ruweiss

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2023, 09:05:49 PM »
Herman, excellent plants, thank you for showing.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

MarcR

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 12:49:10 AM »
Thank You, Herman! Gardening surrounded by paddocks and wasteland, slugs tend to creep in my garden all the time they are active. Therefore, I gave up bothering with them. Despite the often very wet condtitions due to our heavy clay, a good deal of trilliums survive, the sessile ones doing better than the petiolated.

Mariette,
To protect special plants from slugs in a limited area, buy a roll of copper flashing from a building supply store. Form it into a shallow trough surrounding the plants, you want to protect and join the ends with caulking. Fill it with beer and cover it with aluminum foil held off the ground with spacers of any convenient waterial at random intervals. use rocks to keep the foil from blowing away. Every four or five weeks bail out the old beer and refill it.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Mariette

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 07:25:26 AM »
Thank You, MarcR! Many years ago, when the slug population was far bigger, I practised this in my vegetable plot. Meanwhile, due to the long periods of drought during recent years, there are fewer slugs around. Also, the number of predators appears to be increased in my garden, which means that I often notice less damage than friends using slug pellets. Right now, I feel I can get along with the little damage slugs still do.  :)

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 06:31:53 PM »
I am very much impressed with your big healthy clumps.
Trillium pusillum var. alabamicum I have only three plants. Flower is open and I have already pollinated one flower while the pistil is open.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 06:30:45 AM »
I am also very impressed with your achievements; they are such beautiful plants!
 Herman, I would love to see these Trilliums face to face and visit your garden to see what conditions they live in. ::)
 Here I am not yet very good at growing them, but I am working on it.  My Trillium luteum has not yet reappeared, but it is later, it seems, so I still have some hope that it will come back a bit more.

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2023, 01:18:09 AM »
Our weather has been sunny one day, hail storms the next.  Trilliums are later than normal and some are still not in bloom.

Trillium ovatum ssp. maculosum
712564-0

Trillium ovatum seeds around in pretty harsh, dry conditions, surprising me how it can spread.  It's just starting to come up.

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2023, 01:21:28 AM »
A few more trilliums.

Trillium chloropetalum

A clump of Trillium chloropetalum, demonstrating the variability of flower color and leave markings
712570-1

Another clump of Trillium chloropetalum, these from seeds kindly shared by Dave Toole

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal