We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 2414 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: January 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 11:25:47 PM »
Gabriela,

Thank you for all the information regarding your local weather conditions over the past month, and generalized information concerning how plants, both native and cultivated, respond to snow cover, or the lack of it, in your region.

For me at least, gardening is an ever-evolving process. I find the experiences of gardeners under a whole variety of differing climatic, and other cultural situations very fascinating and often enlightening. Frequent summertime temperatures in the 43 C to 46 C range might be our new gardening reality in our part of Northern California. Observations of how different plant species respond to different climatic situations are often surprising. They can offer possibilities and clues into how to proceed in my own gardening environment.

Same for me Robert, gardening is a continuous process, and so every season, every day, we discovered and learn new things about the plants we are trying to grow and the micro systems surrounding them.
Same species are more adaptable and 'flexible' than others (just like people). Before I am trying to introduce something in the garden, I try to look at its native habitat and analyze by comparison the conditions I have to offer.
That doesn't mean I don't try crazy things sometimes  :)

The Flora of California is so rich! you are blessed with an infinite resource of inspiration.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: January 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2023, 11:30:23 PM »
I do just the same for the same reason, and I think it helps. :)

It helps for sure Leena! I am lucky to live in an old neighborhood where there are large deciduous trees, even if not on my property, so there are plenty of leaves in the fall. Sometimes I have to collect them from the street side, which may look weird to some people; most of them are sent to the City compost pile (at least they are put to good use).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal