We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2021  (Read 10148 times)

Cod

Galanthus March 2021
« on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
Local churchyard yellow

Cod

Re: Galanthus March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 06:00:31 PM »
Garden center woronowii

Cod

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »
Another garden centre woronowii sorry about the multiple posts I haven’t quite got it yet

Mariette

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
These are excellent finds of G. woronowii, Cod! This year, there is little chance to find any special snowdrop in a garden centre, as they are closed due to the epidemic now.

´Orwell Green Tip´had become rare in its country of origin.

Are the continental finds of "yellow" Galanthus nivalis also called sandersii? ´Rheingold´may be the first one named in Germany.

Named by the same collector: ´Feodora´

Cod

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »
Mariette your yellows are beautiful, a more experience forum member may put them in a group.? I shall keep my fingers crossed for my finds for the coming years.

Jeffnz

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 01:48:58 AM »
What are the best galanthus species to grow in a climate of wet winters, no snow and very hot dry summers?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 05:48:35 AM »
Local churchyard yellow
Are you in Northumberland like me?

Garden center woronowii
In which case you must tell me which garden centre you are visiting to find such special woronowiis.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 06:02:10 AM »
...This year, there is little chance to find any special snowdrop in a garden centre, as they are closed due to the epidemic now.

Garden centres were closed at the start of our first lockdown but it was quickly realised that they are as essential to the fabric of our society as grocery stores and have remained open ever since.

Are the continental finds of "yellow" Galanthus nivalis also called sandersii? ´Rheingold´may be the first one named in Germany.

Mr Sanders of Cambridge is long gone but he still gets the credit for all examples of a basic yellow nivalis, on the basis that although you can give individual finds a name you cannot really tell then apart.  I inherited three little clumps growing in my garden, let alone the thousands that must be growing hereabouts.  I take it 'Rheingold' predates the Engelmann era?
Almost in Scotland.

Cod

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 07:03:19 AM »
Hi Alan I live in Kent near the bordef to East Sussex where the yellows are.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:43:05 AM »
Hi Cod, Northumberland is well-known for its yellows (albeit only present in a tiny minority).  I had not realised there was another pocket of them in your locale.  Up here, everywhere that I have visited it's nivalis and nothing but.  I suspect in your area you have more chance of finding a hybrid between a yellow nivalis and another species.  And you clearly have some excellent garden centres.
Almost in Scotland.

Mariette

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
Garden centres were closed at the start of our first lockdown but it was quickly realised that they are as essential to the fabric of our society as grocery stores and have remained open ever since.

Mr Sanders of Cambridge is long gone but he still gets the credit for all examples of a basic yellow nivalis, on the basis that although you can give individual finds a name you cannot really tell then apart.  I inherited three little clumps growing in my garden, let alone the thousands that must be growing hereabouts.  I take it 'Rheingold' predates the Engelmann era?

I don´t know when the Engelmann era started, but ´Feodora´and ´Rheingold´were named by Nicolas Top in the nineties. He is or was a Belgian living and working in Germany and hunting for snowdrops in an area along the Rhine. His collection was grown by friends, too, in case he might loose it. A wise decision, as it turned out.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
.... A wise decision, as it turned out.

Please continue, Mariette.  I am tantalised and would love to hear the end of the story. 
Almost in Scotland.

Mariette

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Well, I´m not the author of the story.  ;) At least I learnt from his friends that he lost his collection or part of it and that they restored the lost cultivars to him.  :)

Stefan B.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »

Galanthus nivalis Unnamed

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »
It is nice to see snowdrop flowers in pictures:).
Here last week was warm (+6C) many days, and snow had started to melt fast, but there is so much that most of the garden is still under it. Which is good, because next week is going to be cold again, below zero all the time, and right now it is snowing more.
The earliest snowdrops are pushing through snow into the light in places where the snow has melted most.
'Mrs Macnamara' is one of the first ones here, and it is a very hardy snowdrop in my experience. I love it how they warm (?) the snow around them to make a little tunnel to come up.
'Little Magnet' looks so sturdy and nice coming up.
In 2015 I sowed G.trojanus, and they germinated in 2017. Now they are starting to flower, and seem to be quite early snowdrops. I don't know yet how they cope with very cold temperatures, so after taking this picture I put more dry leaves around them for protection for the coming cold.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:44:08 AM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal