We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tom Mitchell video of Galanthus bursanus  (Read 1422 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Tom Mitchell video of Galanthus bursanus
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
I really enjoyed this video and scenes from the natural habitat of snowdrops.
Leena from south of Finland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Tom Mitchell video of Galanthus bursanus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
Thank you Leena.  Yes, well worth watching.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:09 PM »
Thank you, Leena, I had not come across this before. 
Almost in Scotland.

PhilG

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:47:20 PM »
Yeh, this was interesting - I watched it last night.
I now know how to pronounce woronowii.
I've been visiting his site for just over a year and find all his posts extremely interesting and helpful.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:10:10 AM »
What an instructive and lively video - even for a semi-hardy galanthophile.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 06:23:01 AM »
...I now know how to pronounce woronowii.

I'm not convinced.  I always pronounce it as if the 'w' is pronounce like a 'v' in both cases.  But I'm more concerned about how you pronounce a double 'i' at the end of a name.  I always pronounce it as in the letters 'e' 'i' said in succession.  But Tom Mitchell seems to be following something akin to the Nintendo convention, that it is pronounce as in (to use a Scottish word) 'wee'.  Tom seems to use a shortened form of that sound.  For that matter, did Sir Henry pronounce his surname 'El Wheeze'?  I doubt it.  But the majority seem to pronounce his snowdrop species that way (I cannot remember what Tom says).       
Almost in Scotland.

PhilG

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
I'm not convinced.  I always pronounce it as if the 'w' is pronounce like a 'v' in both cases.  But I'm more concerned about how you pronounce a double 'i' at the end of a name.  I always pronounce it as in the letters 'e' 'i' said in succession.       
I've done a lot of searching this morning on this. I've always pronounced 'ii' as 'ee eye' myself, but there is no consensus on this. Some say 'ee' some 'ee eye' it's one of those things that there is no right or wrong, it varies between countries and people - "whatever sounds right to You" is also what I've read.

As for woronowii, it's named after a Russian botanist, so his original name isn't spelt with our letters anyway and has been translated as both Woronow and Voronov. It is also a Polish surname, where it may? be pronounced as 'V' for both 'W's, but that's Polish not Russian. I have seen a break down of the pronounciation as wo-on-ov-ee-eye. So it appears that there is no right nor wrong for both the beginning nor ending.
The only agreement seems to be regarding the last 'w' as 'v'.

So whatever sounds right to You, is acceptable.

Mariette

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
I'm not convinced.  I always pronounce it as if the 'w' is pronounce like a 'v' in both cases.  But I'm more concerned about how you pronounce a double 'i' at the end of a name.  I always pronounce it as in the letters 'e' 'i' said in succession.  But Tom Mitchell seems to be following something akin to the Nintendo convention, that it is pronounce as in (to use a Scottish word) 'wee'.  Tom seems to use a shortened form of that sound.  For that matter, did Sir Henry pronounce his surname 'El Wheeze'?  I doubt it.  But the majority seem to pronounce his snowdrop species that way (I cannot remember what Tom says).     
I´m afraid Your pronounciation is used only by the English, whereas people on the Continent try to pronounce it like the Romans probably did: ee ee . After all, it´s Latin and means the Genitive of Woronow, for instance. Or Elwes.  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal