We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Not the usual Galanthus  (Read 1928 times)

Tarzanus

Not the usual Galanthus
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
I have got a snowdrop with some orange. Anyone seen anything like it?

Andrew Gardner

Re: Not the usual Galanthus
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »
Is it pollen grains smeared onto the petals via bees coming and going?

Tarzanus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 02:51:51 AM »
No, only one clump shows it, and it's there when the flower is still closed. Also, you can see the pattern, pollen smear would not be symetric as that. Some of snowdrops from the same clump have half the orange spots (still, pretty symetric, just with one spot on inner petal instead of two). I guess it fades away when pollinated with regular Galanthus and those are its seedlings.

Chad

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »
Could it be aberrant anther production?

In some double snowdrops where the inner 'petals' are actually petaloid stamens you can see this effect as a streak of pollen producing tissue across the margin of the 'petal'.

If it is that the yellow bit should be marginally thicker than the surrounding petal.

Chad
Inland Cornwall

Chad

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 10:55:54 AM »
After a bit of a hunt I've found a picture to illustrate aberrant anther tissue.  Often it is a streak down the 'petal' but can be a line across the edge.

Not all doubles do this, some have what looks like real anthers admixed with the inner petals.

I haven't seen it on a single before, but I can't think of a reason why it couldn't happen.

Chad
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:03:08 AM by Chad »
Inland Cornwall

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 03:46:54 PM »
I'm pretty  sure this  is  aberrant anther tissue on the  single  flower.  Nature  can be  very  odd.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tarzanus

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »
Could it be aberrant anther production?

In some double snowdrops where the inner 'petals' are actually petaloid stamens you can see this effect as a streak of pollen producing tissue across the margin of the 'petal'.

If it is that the yellow bit should be marginally thicker than the surrounding petal.

Chad

I think the same thing... I haven't seen it yet so far, though. :)

Tarzanus

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »
I'm pretty  sure this  is  aberrant anther tissue on the  single  flower.  Nature  can be  very  odd.
I agree
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:58:15 PM by Tarzanus »

Chad

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:40:04 PM »
Assuming the trait is stable that gives us a whole new set of cultivars to breed!

Chad
Inland Cornwall

Tarzanus

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:04 AM »
First I noticed it 2 years ago, then last year again - at that point I ruled out pollen deposit. I also noticed snowdrops with half the amount of orange, which leads me to believe, there was some crossing involved and they are fertile (they produce seeds too, but so far I always lost the battle against slugs). These photos are from last year, I'll see what happens this year in two months max. Depends on our weather.
I'll be a bit more protective this year and possibly try a few pollination tests. It would be really nice to further improve this treat and possibly implement it into other Galanthus cultivars.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:48:44 AM by Tarzanus »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal