We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2021  (Read 9009 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Galanthus January 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
While the garden is frozen hard, I took the opportunity to take photos of some of our snowdrops. Dryad Demeter and Dryad Venus are both making a great show this year, and both very distinct in habit and markings.
Galanthus koenenianus x fosteri has been much more reliable with me than its seed parent, and  its mother's ridged leaves are very easy to see (in real life anyway). The whole clump puts me in mind of a group of little soldiers in stripy trousers! Yes, I've definitely been locked down too long....
Trying to get this little pot of seedling G. gracilis, in my favourite dwarf, chunky form, to arrange itself tidily for the photograph ended in Seedlings 1 Anne 0.
Anglesey Aurora surprised me by retaining the peachy hue even once the flower opened. I'm struggling to warm to these odd-coloured flowers, as I am to pink daffodils. Each to their own.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »
Is any snowdrop madder than G. reginae-olgae subsp. vernalis MISS ADVENTURE? It never fails to raise a smile in its crazy attempts to become an ipoc. The neat flowers with variable outer markings hang below a white spathe streaked with dark green as if it had stolen part of a South Hayes and not known where to put it. 
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

cfaitz

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
Wendy's Gold enjoying some winter sun this afternoon.679403-0

Mariette

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 03:43:35 PM »
"Yellow" snowdrops are great with snow, cfaitz!
In my garden, the snow is melting in parts.

Easier to take a pic in the green house, as this double Galanthus elwesii from Foxgrove is quite short.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:46:27 PM by Mariette »

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
Mariette, how beautiful scenery with snowdrops and helleborus!
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
Thank You Leena - I´m looking forward  to pics of the far more beautiful sceneries in Your garden!  :)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 11:12:57 AM »
Mariette, it will not be until April this year, I think. There is so much snow right now.  And I'm not sure about the beautiful-thing:).
I miss the mild winter 2020, and have to be content to look at pictures right now!
But more exciting thing to think about is that just couple of days ago I noticed germination in seed pot labeled Dryad Gold mix, seeds bought from Dryad Bulbs last summer:).
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »
Galanthus plicatus 'Wendy's Gold'
Belgium

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 04:13:44 PM »
Very much enjoying your Galanthus pics. We have a pot of G. fosteri which is just coming into flower. I'm afraid my hands are not very steady these days but I will try and post 2 pics.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Mariette

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
Lovely, Shelagh! Galanthus fosteri is one of my favourites, I like the green leaves and the pretty marks. ´Wendy´s Gold´has also green leaves, which sets of the yellow marks and receptacle especially well. Nice group, Herman!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
Very nice Shelagh.  I may have lost this one so must look out for it again.

This morning it was warm (>10°C), calm & spring-like here.  Snowdrops & first crocuses opened fully, to the delight of the bees which avidly gathered pollen. 
With pollen coming in the queens increase their laying, the colonies start to build up for another season and so the cycle continues 8)

Galanthus 'Diggory'
G. 'Kildare'
G. 'Rosemary Burnham'
G. nivalis which were really buzzing!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:35:26 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Tim Harberd

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »
My 'new' Bill Clark has deformed outer petals.... I don't recall this being a problem on my 'old' Bill Clark, which got virused and binned.

Tim DH

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 08:46:48 PM »
I've got a couple of different flowers with damage like that which I've assumed is due to a physical damage of the emerging bud, it doesn't look like disease.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Mariette

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »
Occasionally, this kind of damage occurs also in my garden and green house, but doesn´t repeat the next year. Like Gail, I always considered it to be some kind of physical damage, not disease.
You are lucky with the weather in Ireland, Ashley! Beautiful pictures of Your garden - I´m afraid, we are not going to have warm sunshine the next weeks.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »
Lovely, Shelagh! Galanthus fosteri is one of my favourites,
For the moment, fosteri is one of my favorite... search on internet !  ;D I don't find any nursery that sell it (or it is out of stock) and with Brexit, it will be even harder and expensive. If some have one or few bulbs to spare or sell, I will be very happy  ;)
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal