We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aberrances  (Read 1132 times)

David Lowndes

Aberrances
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »

The first photo shows part of the Sir Harold Hillier Gardens in the beautiful Hampshire sunshine this morning.  The snowdrops had no label and the gardener didn’t know what they were called.  Several flowers were deformed in various ways so I think they were G.’Janmes Backhouse’.  They were otherwise very ‘attkinsii’ like.
On returning home I found that the second flower on my Dryad Gold Medal had opened and was equally aberrant! The first flower is perfect. I’m sure this will settle down eventually. Any thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:30:27 PM by Maggi Young »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Aberrances
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
'Dryad Bronze Medal', perhaps? 

I think all snowdrops will do this occasionally, a few do it quite frequently and I imagine that there are some that we don't cultivate that do it pretty much all the time.  I'm sure if this snowdrop were prone to this aberrance then Anne would have not allowed it to get to market.  'James Backhouse' tends to throw extra petals, including from behind the receptacle, amongst other oddities.  I tend to use that indicator to recognise it.   
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
That's the first I've seen. I'm sure it will be fine next year, but if it isn't, I'll replace it, of course.  :)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Lowndes

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
I’m not worried Anne - I’m sure it’s temporary and the first one (same genes) is fine. I just thought it was interesting- or spooky considering my experience this morning!
Very nice snowdrop and really vigorous

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal