We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Whopper bulbs  (Read 3129 times)

Paddy Tobin

Whopper bulbs
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
A clump of Galanthus plicatus cristata (that is the name under which I received these bulbs) looked in need of dividing and I undertook the task today. I was surprised at the size of the bulbs and the prolific production of offsets. Have a look at the photographs.

The first show the whole clump with a trowel alongside for size comparison.

The second shows three of the big bulbs on the trowel

and the third shows how productively this bulb had produced offsets - how we would all love our rare cultivars to produce so prolifically!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Whopper bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
Goodness me, those are whopper bulbs! I'd never have thought that three galanthus bulbs would fill a trowel. Indeed a shame that more plants are not as robust as this.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:20:36 AM »
Very impressive Paddy ! :o
Did you give them the BD potash regime ???  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
Luc,

No regime at all, simply planted in the garden. Never fed, only what was available to them in the ground.

Paddy

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »
Paddy

Were the flowers any different from other Galanthus plicatus?  Were they a gift from a friend, or did you buy them?
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
Arthur,

Photograph below from 2007 for your attention.

The bulbs came from a friend.

Paddy

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
Paddy, any seed capsules formed? Looks like it could be a polyploid form of plicatus (not nearly as common in plicatus as in elwesii). If it's a regular seed setter, may be a fertile tetraploid. If sterile then probably a triploid. If you've had no seed pods, might you be able to ask your friend if he or she regularly gets seed set or not - could be very useful indeed from the breeding viewpoint.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Martin,

I have just read your posting on the other thread of all the seed you have now sown for this year. Here, I take a very opposite approach and deadhead my snowdrops so as to prevent any self-seeding which I fear might lead to seedlings arising in the garden which might  compromise the purity of a clump of a particular cultivar.

Paddy

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
Martin,

I have just read your posting on the other thread of all the seed you have now sown for this year. Here, I take a very opposite approach and deadhead my snowdrops so as to prevent any self-seeding which I fear might lead to seedlings arising in the garden which might  compromise the purity of a clump of a particular cultivar.

Paddy

I do the same unless I've made a deliberate cross. Unplanned seedlings sprouting in clumps of named cultivars can cause real problems. One job I have to do when it stops raining, is go around those clumps that I didn't cross-pollinate and check them for unwanted seed pods that I might have missed earlier. It's very easy to miss some seed pods hiding under leaves, but they tend to become much more visible when the leaves start to die back - trouble is by that stage they're often ready to shed their seed so you have to be quick.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal