We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere - 2008 season  (Read 6966 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere - 2008 season
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »
Flowering this morning, about 2 weeks earlier than usual due to our strange weather.  The start of Galanthus for the season in my garden....

Not the most perfect flower as yet, but it is the first of the season so it deserves recognition!!  ;D

I've posted this pic in the Flowering Now areas as well, but had to drop it in here as well for the Galanthophiles.

Changed subject from 'Let the White Fever commence' - 5-06-08
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:59:08 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Let the 'White Fever' commence....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:45:49 AM »
thanks Paul - looking forward to seeing many more from your side of the pond  :D

cheers

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:51:42 AM »
John,

Well don't get too enthusiastic YET..... there'll be only the reginae-olgae and peshmenii for the next while, and unlike you guys over there I've never seen a named variant of the autumn species here in Aus so there aren't that many different forms to show you.  I do actually grow 3 or so different reginae-olgae which have differences in timing and height etc, but not enough I think to bore you with pictures of the different ones.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:10:50 AM »
Howdy All,

Opening in the last couple of days is Galanthus peshmenii.  Within the next few days or so hopefully there'll be some flowers open on my larger form of reginae-olgae which I can then post a pic of.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 04:43:46 AM »
Howdy All,

The main winter Galanthus season is commencing in my garden at the moment.  Many things are early this year (Eranthis are already out, a full 6 weeks earlier than usual) so I don't know what that will do to the season.  The Galanthus elwesii pictured always flowers in June (I posted a pic of the clump in the "flower now" area yesterday, but just took this pic of them fully open to post here), but I think from memory the G. snogerupii is ahead of itself a bit this season.

Enjoy!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
Finally got some sunny pics of some of the Gals today.....

The first two are unnamed, although I think the first (left of rose arch) one probably had a name as it never sets seed (so may be one of the polyploid forms?), has pretty good quality flowers, and is the earliest every season.  The other has a much smaller mark, but I can't recall it setting seed or not.

Next is 'Eric's Choice', which is a very large, green tipped pleasure to have in my garden.  ;D

'Essie Huxley' is a large flower, beautifully proportioned and very substantial in texture.  Despite the picture making it look very like the unknown one above, Essie is a superior flower in appearance, and usually is a little later than this (strange weather again).

And lastly the invalidly named "x elcatus", which is interesting rather than particularly beautiful.  The petals are always much more pointed than any other I have here, but it multiplies very well and flowers religiously.  This strange weather though has made them even more pointy than usual, as they normally have a bit more substance than is evident in this pic.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Galanthus in the Southern Hemisphere - 2008 season
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
Paul

I cannot yet call myself a Galanthophile, but it is great having a second set of snowdrops this year.  Particularly like 'Essie Huxley' and think the 'x elcatus' is beautiful - elegant and different
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 02:39:50 PM »
Paul you are blessed for giving us a 'fix' of snowdrops when the roses are in full bloom here! :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »
Careful Paul, you will set all the NH snowie growers loins twitching! ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
Thanks all.  Glad to be feeding the snowie addiction!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:07:53 AM »
Finally got some sunny pics of some of the Gals today.....

The first two are unnamed, although I think the first (left of rose arch) one probably had a name as it never sets seed (so may be one of the polyploid forms?), has pretty good quality flowers, and is the earliest every season.  The other has a much smaller mark, but I can't recall it setting seed or not.

Next is 'Eric's Choice', which is a very large, green tipped pleasure to have in my garden.  ;D

'Essie Huxley' is a large flower, beautifully proportioned and very substantial in texture.  Despite the picture making it look very like the unknown one above, Essie is a superior flower in appearance, and usually is a little later than this (strange weather again).

And lastly the invalidly named "x elcatus", which is interesting rather than particularly beautiful.  The petals are always much more pointed than any other I have here, but it multiplies very well and flowers religiously.  This strange weather though has made them even more pointy than usual, as they normally have a bit more substance than is evident in this pic.
Enjoy.
Paul,
 your G."Eric's Choice' is very handsome- where did you get it from? G. x elcatus is elwesii x plicatus . Prof. Otto Schwarz - Jena Bot. Garden - sent me a few bulbs in 1972 , and from that importation I distributed spares to other Galanthophiles in Australia .
Otto
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:25:07 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
This is flowering for me for the first time, thanks to a wonderfully generous Aussie member here on the forums.  It's Galanthus 'Sibbertoft White', the first pure white snowie I have seen.  VERY pretty!!  Up until I received this I had thought the only pure white Gals were the poculiformis ones, something I hope to get hold of one of these years if they're here in Aus, so this is extra wonderful as it reminds me of them every time I see it, just for the lack of markings.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:24:51 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Now that is a real snowie!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »
A beautiful plant, Paul, certainly worth being excited about.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
It is lovely isn't it Paul, from the garden of Lady Beatrix Stanley originally and has the synonym 'No Mark' which is quite apt.  I've just twin-scaled it this year so I get a bigger clump quicker (I hope), as it looks so good, even though it will clump up relatively quickly!

Enjoy ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal