We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: There's a new seller on ebay  (Read 28005 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: There's new seller on ebay
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 11:36:45 PM »
if a username sold 100 different snowdrops they would class this as a business but if that same seller sold 10 snowdrops, a table and chairs, a tv, general bits n pieces they would not bother

I don't think it's a question of not bothering; if you sell something as a private individual, the money you make is not taxable as income.  Certain assets may be liable to capital gains tax if you make enough of a profit but I don't think that applies to bulbs as they have a limited lifespan.  But if you spend a lot of time and energy selling a lot of stuff then that activity might well be classed as a business.  If so, any profits made would be taxable.     
Almost in Scotland.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 12:09:43 AM »
Quality flower from reliable seller  ( Paul of Edulis Nursery)  here :
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galanthus-nivalis-Timber-Wolf-1-x-flowering-size-bulb-/201499898459?hash=item2eea54725b%3Ag%3AQuYAAOSwKtlWkO8Y 
 - something for the lovers of greeny  'drops -  "Timber Wolf"
I see Paul Barney's Timber Wolf went for £161 - beyond my pocket but looks a nice virescent nivalis; North Green's Prague Spring looks reasonably similar (although I do not have it) and nearer my price range at least

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
And the amusingly-named (but badly photographed) 'Trumpdy Dumpty' sold for £82.  Blow me down.  No signs of galanthomania ending this year!
Almost in Scotland.

colineddie1

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 11:27:42 PM »
I think the seller has almost certainly invented the name 'Trumpdy Dumpty" themselves but they are at liberty to do that.  And they could well be correct that it is a seedling from Trym and another unidentified snowdrop.  The photo on eBay is so over-exposed it strikes me as genuine.  So the two questions that remain are:
  • Is it really different from other existing snowdrops?
  • Does it have any merit?

Is it just me or are there quite a few drops on ebay at the moment that I certainly have never heard of before - yes there is another Trumpdy Dumpty but there are several others
Galanthus 'whittali'
Galanthus 'Shrubbery Special'
Galanthus Henry broughton
Galanthus.'Brandling'
Very Rare Galanthus X "Heads Above Water"

Got to admit I am so tempted at a few of those above, some of from sellers that I trust but I am cautious because others are from sellers I have not seen before - I know everyone has to start somewhere though - any thoughts and guidance very gratefully accepted
The proud owner of 4 cats that love to shovel bulbs around the garden for fun!!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »
eBay seller Edwardhutchin-0 likes to make up names for his snowdrops and sell them on eBay.  He (?) is responsible for 'Trumpdy Dumpty', 'Heads Above Water' and some others.  There is nothing wrong with this per se but with the quality of his photos it is hard to know what you are getting so you might easily be disappointed.

Wheelieniely, selling 'Shrubbery Special', is by all accounts a respectable seller but I have never heard of this one.

Broughton is the surname of the family that donated Anglesey Abbey to the National Trust.  'Henry Broughton' is a real snowdrop but the picture on eBay has been lifted from this web site http://www.gapphotos.com/featuredetails.asp?featureref=16 and that is always a danger signal.

'Whittallii' was a known cultivar (captial W, double l & i).  It now seems to have morphed into one of the 'Edward Whittall Group'.  Unknown seller, photograph poor.

The eBay text for 'Brandling' seems to be self-explanatory.

it was nice to meet you on Saturday, colineddie1.         
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
Colin
In case it helps you, Whittalii has been in gardens for many years, one of the strongest-growing and tallest of the snowdrops. And cheap to buy. To use the old phrase "a good do-er". So quite a contrast with many of the current highly-priced newcomers that no-one has seen actually growing. I do still buy a few of the newcomers sight unseen but when I do its from suppliers whose description I trust - and they can be counted pretty much on the fingers of one and a half hands.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
Shrubbery Special was in the North Green Snowdrops list a couple of years ago, originating from a Norfolk garden of a well-known gardener - my ageing info retrieval system = memory won't provide me with his name.
Beds/Bucks border

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
Shrubbery Special was in the North Green Snowdrops list a couple of years ago, originating from a Norfolk garden of a well-known gardener - my ageing info retrieval system = memory won't provide me with his name.

Steve it was a seedling found in Rod and Jane Leeds garden in Suffolk, not Norfolk.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

colineddie1

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
eBay seller Edwardhutchin-0 likes to make up names for his snowdrops and sell them on eBay.  He (?) is responsible for 'Trumpdy Dumpty', 'Heads Above Water' and some others.  There is nothing wrong with this per se but with the quality of his photos it is hard to know what you are getting so you might easily be disappointed.

Wheelieniely, selling 'Shrubbery Special', is by all accounts a respectable seller but I have never heard of this one.

Broughton is the surname of the family that donated Anglesey Abbey to the National Trust.  'Henry Broughton' is a real snowdrop but the picture on eBay has been lifted from this web site http://www.gapphotos.com/featuredetails.asp?featureref=16 and that is always a danger signal.

'Whittallii' was a known cultivar (captial W, double l & i).  It now seems to have morphed into one of the 'Edward Whittall Group'.  Unknown seller, photograph poor.

The eBay text for 'Brandling' seems to be self-explanatory.

it was nice to meet you on Saturday, colineddie1.       

It was lovely to meet you also on Saturday - I was also trying to get to Brian and Chas but bonus was yourself and Emma, I already knew Blonde Ingrid and her AT from previous years - lol

Thank you for the above information - when you are only learning everything looks amazing and pretty and I have fallen foul of buying drops (not cheap) and then discovering that they are difficult to grow (nearly did it this time but a lovely Dutch gentleman said it was a really difficult drop to grow so I didn't get it)

colineddie1

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »
Colin
In case it helps you, Whittalii has been in gardens for many years, one of the strongest-growing and tallest of the snowdrops. And cheap to buy. To use the old phrase "a good do-er". So quite a contrast with many of the current highly-priced newcomers that no-one has seen actually growing. I do still buy a few of the newcomers sight unseen but when I do its from suppliers whose description I trust - and they can be counted pretty much on the fingers of one and a half hands.

This one might be worth a look at then as I am sort of trying to stick to good do-ers (says she who has bought an Anglesey Orange Tip at Myddleton - will I ever learn!) - Thank you Steve for the above information.

steve owen

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »
Steve it was a seedling found in Rod and Jane Leeds garden in Suffolk, not Norfolk.
Yes thanks Brian, couldn't summon up their name. I has Shrubbery Special and carelessly lost it. But I'm not paying Ebay prices to replace it.
Beds/Bucks border

Tristan_He

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
Anyone out there bought from numptyrobert? (based in Edinburgh apparently). Any good?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
I've had a personal message from a European collector who appears to use eBay a lot and wishes to recommend seller 'numptyrobert'.  He mentions four snowdrops he has bought from this seller.   
Almost in Scotland.

uvularia

• Edulis Nursery
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
I see Paul Barney's Timber Wolf went for £161 - beyond my pocket but looks a nice virescent nivalis; North Green's Prague Spring looks reasonably similar (although I do not have it) and nearer my price range at least

It is in its first year of offering. Hopefully we will have some a reasonable prices next year. It is a good grower and bulks up nicely.
'Hope itself breeds life'

Nurseryman & Landscape Architect

www.edulis.co.uk
twitter @pauledulis

SusanH

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
I purchased Sir Herbert Maxwell from "numptyrobert" and had excellent service.
Yesterday I received Hippolyta bulbs from "firecrystal02" - these bulbs were stunning plus I got 3 extra bulbs included in the price. I have bought a few more bulbs from this seller in the past year. I would highly recommend this seller.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal