We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G. 'Brenda Troyle'  (Read 2754 times)

apothecary

G. 'Brenda Troyle'
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
After a few days away from the snowdrops (my mind was feeling thoroughly addled), here are some more photos for general perusal.  They're supposed to be 'Brenda Troyle' but, due to the aformentioned addledness of my mind, I haven't closely checked them against the monograph yet.  The plant is a little more elderly than it should be so the outer perianths weren't quite so curled when the flowers were in their prime.
Kristina. Llandeilo, south-west Wales, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: G. 'Brenda Troyle'
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
Kristina, if it came to you from Primrose Warburg's garden as Brenda Troyle then I'd leave it labelled as such. The problem is, it's very difficult (often impossible!) to distinguish with any great degree of accuracy between the likes of Brenda Troyle, S. Arnott, Backhouse No. 12 etc. If perfectly grown, healthy, full-sized bulbs, you can perhaps find some small distinguishing differences (or think you can!) but under-performing, smaller. less healthy bulbs of any of them can look virtually identical to ditto bulbs of any of the others. Many a snowdrop grower has been driven to distraction by trying to decide if this or that bulb is Brenda, Arnott or whatever.

The best anyone can do is stick with whatever name they got their bulbs under. If they came from South Hayes, they're as likely to be "correct" as anything else if not more so.

Enjoying the NBGW thread by the way. Fascinating. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:42:09 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
A nice quote from 'the book' concerning the differences between 's. Arnott', 'Neill Fraser', Mrs Backhouse No 12' and 'Brenda Troyle':

"Colin Mason's suggestion, when asked for his opinion on a specimen from this set, that the plant in question was in fact Galanthus 'Neill Troyle No 12', sums up very well indeed this unfortunate state of affairs!"     ;D ::)

regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
A nice quote from 'the book' concerning the differences between 's. Arnott', 'Neill Fraser', Mrs Backhouse No 12' and 'Brenda Troyle':

"Colin Mason's suggestion, when asked for his opinion on a specimen from this set, that the plant in question was in fact Galanthus 'Neill Troyle No 12', sums up very well indeed this unfortunate state of affairs!"     ;D ::)

regards

John

Exactamundo!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
Galanthus 'Neill Troyle No 12

What a good idea, I shall whizz outside again and relabel them all! ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal