We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Monksilver List  (Read 18587 times)

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
Monksilver List
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
I have been banished to the cold and snowy wastes of Chicago this week. Can anyone tell me if they have received the Monksilver list from Joe Sharman yet? I saw a note last week, from Brian I think, that the list should be out this week. My wife has confirmed that my copy hasn't turned up and I was wondering if it got lost in the post or if they haven't actually been sent yet.

If anyone has received it could they possibly e-mail me a copy via a Personal Message?

Thanks,
David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Monksilver List
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »
Perhaps the first person to get Joe Sharman's list could post it on the forum under this thread. I have so say, I haven't had a snowdrop list from Joe for ages. I always forget which nurseries automatically send you their next list when you order from them and which you have to keep sending for - so I keep dropping off mail-order lists!

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
I would have asked him at the RHS halls today - but I missed him by 5 minutes, as I went after work!

Last year my list from Mr Sharmon arrived on January 25th.

regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
I would have asked him at the RHS halls today - but I missed him by 5 minutes, as I went after work!

You also missed me!!!  But I left around 2:45.
Almost in Scotland.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I also can't recall who sends out and who you have to request catalogues from.

I'm sure that I asked for a list but have not had any e-mail contact with Joe since before Christmas. I see from other postings that I'm not the only one. I guess that Joe must be very busy.

I'll get my wife to keep checking the post and will update if the situation changes.

David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 05:05:04 AM »
You also missed me!!!  But I left around 2:45.

Hi Alan

I went after work, so got there at 3.35.  I didn't realise that the Joe Sharmon and his snowies would leave so early, after being considered by Joint Rock.  It looks likely that I am going to miss them next month too   :'(

I did take some photos of the Avon Bulbs stand to put on here - but when I got home I found they were blurred, I should have used the flash!

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »
This afternoon I had sight of the list so I should imagine it is imminent, watch the post.  There are some nice ones on it but not great numbers available.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
I have a copy of the list now.  Can I paste it here or would that be copyright infringement?
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
I have a copy of the list now.  Can I paste it here or would that be copyright infringement?

Alan, I'm sure Joe Sharman wouldn't object to having his snowdrops for-sale list seen by as many potential customers as possible - especially as some of us growers don't seem to be on his regular mailing list (at least I'm not).

There wouldn't be a copyright issue with something that's intended as a give-away list to customers to solicit orders. It's implied that it's for wide dissemination - in fact that's the point of it.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
By the way, I believe Galanthus nivalis 'Green Light' is one that I found and collected with Joe Sharman's help (he got permission from the owner to remove some bulbs and we both took some).  So if anybody is tempted to pay Joe £40 for one of these, send me a personal message first and I will see if we can trade.
Almost in Scotland.

loes

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
oh,what a list! ;D ;D ;D  can you resist buying?

and so many I never heard of.

what to think of galanthus 'nothing special'for 7 pounds,anyone interested :-\ ::)

Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »
Hi Loes

'nothing special' is nothing special when seen as single plants - but apparently great in a clump due to its floriferousness (is that a word?) - ie lots of flowers.  I got it last year from Wisley, so my single one is nice, but still at the nothing special stage  ::)

John

John

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
A second attempt to send the descriptions Joe gives:

'Angelique' long outers and inners on this semi-poculiform variety. The mark is divided into two. Newish from France.
'Bunch' a spiky nivalis with many long white petals in a dense bunch. The inner most will be green-tipped.
'Ecusson d'Or', yellow flowers with yellow tips to the outers. Needs to settle down to show its full character. New from France.
'Green Light' a nivalis with bright shining green leaves and green-tipped outer petals.
'La Moriniere' a double nivalis, very early with very neat regular flowers, vigorous. New from France.
'Llo 'n' Green' the earliest green-tipped nivalis. Green tipping is-variable from season to season.
'Narwhal' a walrus type, but with whiter flowers that continue on reliably into April 'N etherhall Yellow' a vigorous yellow nivalis selected many years ago by Timothy Clark Esq
'Quad' a double nivalis which usually has only four outers followed by a ring of four inners and then a full centre.
'Woozle' a bizarre double spiky with green tips. The flowers are dense and globular unlike the other spikys. It often has extra petals growing from the ovary.
'Orleton' an incredibly vigorous hybrid clumping ferociously. Plicatus x nivalis 'Caroline' a plicatus which when growing well has two flower per stem. Selected by Bill Clark.
'Lambrook Greensleeves' a plicatus with bright shining green leaves. Vigorous. 'Richard Blakeway-Phillips' a superb byzantinus which is early and has huge flowers. Often two flowers per bulb. Stands out amongst the crowd.
'Robyn Janey' a hybrid with two flowers per bulb, very long pedicels and very long claws. Really distinctive with two elongated eye spots.
Leucojum vernum 'Green Lantern' a selection with much greener flowers. The green tips extend back to cover 1/3 of the tepal.
Leucojum vernum 'Janus' reliably flowering in the first week of January. A vagneri selection.
Leucojum vernum 'Milly' a bizarre form with six normal tepals surrounded by one to six extra tepals arising from the ovary. Late with very dark green leaves.

Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »
Thanks Alan, Just got back from Tesco's to find the postman had been and scanned it all in ready...pipped at the post! ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »
I think this is probably the snowdrop Joe Sharman has named 'Green Light'.  I cannot get all of it in focus and my snowdrops are a little dirty after all the rain we have had here.  I have three slightly different forms but they all share the common features of 'shining green leaves' and green-tipped outer petals.  The leaves 'shine' rather better in sunlight. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:36:08 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal