We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Drops for a NEWBIE  (Read 1500 times)

Rick Goodenough

New Drops for a NEWBIE
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:18 AM »
435799-0435801-1435803-2435805-3

I am a certifiable newbie and have been picking up some new ones, but available cultivars are quite limited here in the states. I hope to make a decent attempt in creating some of my own...:) So, any help and suggestions will be appreciated along the way. Here are a few among those I have acquired over this past year.

A five petaled G. 'Ophelia' - one of the two blooms had three petaled outers and the other had five.
G. 'Viridapice'
G. 'Primrose Warburg'
G. 'John Gray'
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:46:50 AM by Rick Goodenough »
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Ant-k

Re: New Drops for a NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Hello Rick

Are you the Rick famous for his Hostas?

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
Hi Ant-k,
That is quite an overstatement, but yes, I have worked with hostas for nearly 20 years. Thank you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
Refreshing modesty, Rick, for a man awarded by the AHS  and so on!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ant-k

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
In deed so!...
From a very keen grower of Hostas and a garden web
forum member it's a real pleasure to have you posting here
I actually grow at least one of your introductions
'Frank Lloyd wright ', which is just coming into leaf now
and the pictures I have seen of your garden are a real credit to you.
It must be something about galanthus and Hostas?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
It must be something about galanthus and Hostas?

If you can find suitable growing conditions they ought to make excellent companion plants.  The Hostas are below ground when the snowdrops are in flower and leaf then the Hostas emerge to shade the dormant bulbs and possibly shield the snowdrops from the attentions of the narcissus fly and his ilk.  The only problem is that Hostas are said to prefer moist soil and snowdrops don't like waterlogged soil when dormant. 
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »
Thank you Maggie for your kind words, and Alan, I can use all of the cultural pointers that come to mind. I actually let my hostas go quite dry toward the end of the season, so we shall see if they will work out together.

Ant, thrilled to know you are growing one of my favorite introductions. I hope it performs nicely for you.

Great fun to be a part of such a knowledgeable group. Thank you.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
Hi Rick nice to see you here too :)
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:17:11 PM »
Thank you Emma, I am happy to be accepted as a newbie member as I have already learned a lot here and will likely never catch up on the back reading...tons of great perspectives in this forum record.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
Coming back to the original question, I would say that the best drops for a newbie are the old drops.  Any snowdrop that was around 50 years ago and it still around now has stood the test of time and must be reliable in most gardens.  'Lady Beatrix Stanley', for example is easy to recognise and grows happily in my garden without needing much attention.  Whereas of the snowdrops that really are new, very few have an established reputation as good doers.   
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:47:45 AM »
Coming back to the original question, I would say that the best drops for a newbie are the old drops.  Any snowdrop that was around 50 years ago and it still around now has stood the test of time and must be reliable in most gardens.  'Lady Beatrix Stanley', for example is easy to recognise and grows happily in my garden without needing much attention.  Whereas of the snowdrops that really are new, very few have an established reputation as good doers.
Thank you Alan,

Excellent advice and a voice of experience I know. When bitten with a bug such as the "need" for every yellow galanthus one sees, it is good to reflect on the idea of staying with the tried and true and branching out from there.  Thanks again.   

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal