We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KAVB Snowdrop Registration Success  (Read 2455 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
KAVB Snowdrop Registration Success
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
The KAVB are the (Dutch) Royal General Bulb Growers' Association and an international registration authority for bulbs, including snowdrops.  They are not widely used to register UK snowdrop cultivars but a few years ago I made a commitment to try after Gerard Oud advocated this.

Although I procrastinated and there was a bit of a learning curve, in the end the process proved remarkably painless and registration is free if you are outside the Netherlands.  It is necessary to complete a form (describing the snowdrop) and supply a colour photograph.  I was able to do this electronically by contacting the very helpful and friendly Saskia Bodegum at the KAVB.  Today I received a PDF certificate recording the registration of my cultivar 'Cressida'.  The name will subsequently appear in print so I hope this will make it fully official by meeting the requirement of the ICNCP.

I recommend anyone who wants to 'officially' name a new snowdrop cultivar to try this route.  All I need now is for Prince Harry to get engaged to Cressida Bonas to boost the popularity of the name Cressida (which I chose some years ago e.g. http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5090.msg139478#msg139478 )

Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
Re: KAVB Snowdrop Registration Success
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Youre name will be in the books for ever now ;D

There is a dutch saying that once the first sheep passed the gate lots will follow. I am looking forward to more registrations, it means that Galanthus are a serious buisness. By the way i paid 241 euro for registration both, i have to ask big money now to earn it back ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:55:18 AM by Gerard Oud »

Richard Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
Alan
I don't think you need worry about any royal connection needed to boost Cressida's popularity looks like a real smart snowdrop. As a matter of interest any ideas of how many new cultivars are found as opposed to deliberately bred?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
My guess would be that about snowdrop 1 in 100 cultivars are or were deliberately bred, but I expect a greater proportion in future.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
Congratulations on 'Cressida', it looks very nice and distinct. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gerard Oud

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
My guess would be that about snowdrop 1 in 100 cultivars are or were deliberately bred, but I expect a greater proportion in future.

I do say 20 to 25 in 100 !! I do have almost 400 different varieties/hybrids and there are about 2000 "named" drops so..

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »
I think one of us is misunderstanding the question, Gerard.  I took it to mean how many snowdrops were the result of deliberate cross-pollination.  I immediately thought of the Greatorex doubles then ran out of ideas.   
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:41:09 AM »
Youre right Alan i did read "bred" as in cultivation! You are close then with 1 to 100 but it could be less too!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal