We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Walk for SRGC Members 17th February 2008  (Read 5059 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Snowdrop Walk for SRGC Members 17th February 2008
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
News of this very special event, from President Ian, the Christie Kind.....

SRGC Snowdrop walk.

As part of the Scottish Rock Gardens Club 75th year celebrations we have organised a Snowdrop walk at Brechin Castle at 11.30a.m. on Sunday 17th February, the day after the Dunblane early bulb show.   Tickets will be £25 per head which includes a superb lunch in the castle dining room a wonderful opportunity to enjoy your meal and observe a room full of interesting treasures. The castle is only open at this time for SRGC.

Two digital presentations will also be given;  Sandy Leven will give an illustrated talks on Snowdrops followed by Ian Christie giving a talk on "Life after Snowdrops".  Some pot grown Galanthus will be on display with a few selected bulbs for sale.

Brechin Castle
38524-0
Brechin castle is owned by Lord and Lady Dalhousie who will most likely welcome us on arrival, they are excellent hosts. The family can be traced back for many generations and it was, I believe, the 7th Earl who went to the Crimea during his time as minister for war.   Being a very avid gardener he collected some snowdrops from the Crimea to bring home to Brechin these have multiplied and still survive in excellent colonies today.   A few years ago I was being given a tour around the estate by the head forester to admire the tree plantation and it was purely by chance that we came across the wonderful plantings of snowdrops. You will have the pleasure to meet TWO Ian Christies as the head forester introduced himself as Ian Christie and he too has now become a dedicated Galanthophile.
38526-1
 Ian drove me on this first tour stopping on request for me to admire the snowdrops which carpet the ground in large numbers, imagine my surprise as I looked closer at one incredible colony of Galanthus plicatus growing alongside Galanthus nivalis, the G. plicatus are I believe descendants from the Crimea collection.
38528-2
 I was really excited as it was obvious that the two species had been up to mischief, several superb hybrids were evident. I have been observing the plants on an annual basis since my first visit and the Dalhousies have allowed me to remove some bulbs to bulk up for sale we intend to sell these as the Castle Group and within the group we will name some especially good forms.

The Snowdrop event will start in Brechin Castle at 11.30a.m. commencing with two presentations each lasting approximately half an hour. Lunch will then be served.
38530-3
After lunch we will depart for Auldbar den where millions of Galanthus nivalis grow in a superb natural setting: within the den and among the snowdrops stands the ruin of a small church which was built for the family who owned Auldbar many years ago. The whole story about this area is of great historic interest.
38532-4
 We then drive to Maulsden a few miles away, another superb location where we will see carpets of Galanthus plicatus, Galanthus nivalis and a wonderful mixture of singles, doubles and naturally occurring crosses between the two species. The superb setting  amongst large mature beech trees on the banks of the River South Esk adds a special atmosphere to the day.
38534-5

Time is important and we should be heading home before darkness falls at around 4pm, remember you will need good strong  footwear and plenty warm waterproof clothing for the day which is being run exclusively for SRGC members. Cheques should be crossed and made payable to SRGC at a cost of £25 per person and sent to Mr. Ian Christie, “Downfield”, Main Road, Westmuir, Kirriemuir, Angus DD8 5LP.   Any further details required can be had from Ian Christie on 01575572977. Deadline for bookings mid January 2008.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Snowdrop Walk for SRGC Members 17th February 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
Dear Maggie, thank you so very much for your help with this, I have been busy with many things since we came home from Pategonia and I have just finished the first set of pictures which I will send Wild Pategonia. I forgot to say that places are limited for the SRGC Snowdrop day are limited so better get in EARLY for this super day. I hope we do not get SNOW or that way we will only see Snow flakes, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:00:50 PM »
I think I'm going to cry.  Oh to see snowdrops in amounts and locations like that!! <sigh>  Anyone want to spring me a flight over and back so I can attend (he asks hopefully)?  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Hi Paul and everyone who live far away so it is impossible to get to the SRGC snowdrop day. I will take a load of new pictures from the day and post them here so we can share these wonderful snowdrops with you, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
Ian,

Thank You!!  I mean that most sincerely...... but it still isn't the same as actually SEEING them!!  ::) ;D  Just the thought of being there where some of those pics are taken.... Heaven!!  And SO much cooler than we are here in the middle of February!! (to put it mildly!!)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »
As ever, Mr President, it is my pleasure to be of help. :-*
  Lots of us will appreciate your photos of the day.... Sunday 17th is the day the BBC radio gardening programme, 'Beechgrove Potting Shed' comes back on air after a winter layoff, so I, for one, will be at work and missing the occasion.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:05 AM »
What a wonderful place to have discovered - great to know that they are now looking after the snowies.  In Ireland a few years back, I was out walking with my brothers partner - we found an old ruined house with thousands of interesting 'drops growing in the old orchard.  I heard over the weekend that she went back to look at how they were doing this year and reports that the whole orchard has been buldozed and there are no 'drops to be seen anywhere.  :'(

Wish I could make it to Scotland on 17th - but alas, can not.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of the day - make sure there is a group shot of people with names!

cheers

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »
I would have gone too except it clashes with our snowdrop day and the Galanthus Gala
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
Good idea John, as I too would am unable to go  :'(I would be delighted to see shots with familiar names attached please.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
Dear Maggi, Ian and other travellers,

I can only wish you the very best for a wonderful day out to see the snowdrops. How I wish there was a similar location to visit nearer to home but at least I have the hope of looking forward to seeing the wonderful photographs which will follow.

Enjoy the day.

All going well, I hope to get up to see Mark's and other gardens during the snowdrop day in Northern Ireland. I know there are beautiful displays of snowdrops there. I'm sure Mark would confirm that June Docherty's garden has a display nearest to that shown above, large stretches of naturalised G. navalis running through the garden down under old beech trees.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »
Dear Friends, a note to remind you that there is still time to book a place for this excellent day out.  While places are limited overall, there are still plenty available at the moment.  We may have given the impression that places were so limited that some of you thought it was not worth applying... this was our mistake.... of course you can come!
 Contact President Ian ,the Christie Kind, to secure your chance to enjoy this lovely event in this striking setting.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal