We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newbie (Snowbie?!) checking in  (Read 1929 times)

Si_33

Re: Newbie (Snowbie?!) checking in
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
Hi Simon
It would be so nice to have an idea of your location so important to put your comments in context.  if you add as a sig perhaps?  Thanks.

I will put a sig together asap :-) I am in Wiltshire - it is currently blowing a gale!

ChrisD

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi Simon, and welcome.
I am also a relative newcomer to this obsession and my garden is clay (over chalk). I think you have the right idea, start off with some well known and established varieties and use these to find out what works for you. Dont be put off if you loose some in the first few years, I certainly did - even some of the tougher ones. You will soon learn where in your garden they will thrive and where they wont. (If they dont seem happy dont be affraid to move them - for me that is always when they are dormant, it is too easy to break the roots when digging them up in the growing season).

A couple of more specific points, in my garden the places they do best are the ones that get good levels of winter sun. I also plant everything in lattice pots sunk into the soil at first. These lattice pots are filled with a mix of soil, leaf mould, and grit/sand in a roughly 1:1:1 ratio, and I also add some bonemeal. Once they have bulked up, to say 6 or 8 bulbs, and are doing well they get planted out into the garden, again improving the planting area with some leaf mould, grit/sand and adding more bonemeal.

Finally keep a list of what varieties you have and where they are planted and make sure you label each variety.

Good luck.

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

hwscot

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »
Also a bit of a newbie, Simon .. I think r.e. the more obscure suppliers both of bulbs and of information, you have to accept it's a bit like an ancient craft or an esoteric religion .. you have to serve your time as a novice (alias aconyte, catechumen, etc.) and very gradually the mystical words are given to you. There seem to be several important nurseries which can only be reached by boat, and only then in certain phases of the moon.

I'd add Brenda Troyle, Ginn's Imperati, and one or two plicatus varieties .. I've enjoyed them, failed to kill any, and have felt able to try them in different spots to see how they do. Woottens have a couple of good plicatus, not with registered names .. I've found their 'Woottens Selection' to be very sturdy and it also sets seed more consistently than most other things. There are also a couple of strong varieties I've got on ebay which I've found invaluable for trying in different locations.

ebay is good for getting a lot of variations of G. nivalis from private gardeners selling their own surplus .. we started adding odd clumps bought off ebay and it was noticing the variation among them that really piqued my interest and made me learn to look closely. The going rate on ebay for 'ordinary' nivalis seems to be around £10 per hundred .. and often people sell in 15s, 50s etc, so it's worth a punt, both for tock to try in different places, and for the interest in comparing form. There's almost a conservation angle, too .. for preserving a wide genetic pool, and preserving varieties that would otherwise be lost (there's a lot of 'I'm clearing space for a patio') I think collecting unnamed garden varieties is as worthwhile and rewarding as buying specials.
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal