We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhino + Two West compatibility  (Read 1127 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Rhino + Two West compatibility
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:03:58 PM »
Hello folks!

Exciting developments on Benbecula! Now that we are settled in our house and the bare bones of a garden are in place, I’m finally in a position to look at installing a bulb house. The gardeners’ comfort will be greatly improved.

I’m going for a Rhino Premium (10 x 16’ is the biggest we can squeeze into the allotted space) as based on the specs it should stand up to the weather even in our exposed location. I’ll also opt for a coloured finish as I believe the powder coating will give added protection to the structure, with a 25yr guarantee.

Inside I will fill it with plunge benches from Two Wests.

I have two questions:

1) In your experience, do the standard bench sizes from Two Wests fit inside the internal dimensions of Rhino greenhouses? If I put a 2’ x 10’ plunge bench across the end will a 2’ x 14’ bench fit down each side? Based on my sums and the plans online I think they should, with a couple of inches clearance in each dimension, so I shouldn’t need to order bespoke sizes? There’ll also be a bench down the middle, but as there will be access all round I know this will fit fine.

2) Should I consider the option for extra bench height? The bench plus plunge takes the surface of the basic plunge to 90cm height. I’m c. 6ft, so an bit of extra height on the plunge might make for a more comfortable working height, say 110cm? If you are about my height, what height of plunge have you found is best. Also, it is likely that I will put plants that don’t mind a bit of shade on the lower shelf, so extra height there might also be useful?

Pics will follow once the project gets under way!
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhino + Two West compatibility
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 04:14:50 PM »
What an exciting prospect for you - looking forward very much to the phots as you go. Not much use for advice on Rhino/Two Wests compatability though, sorry!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 06:22:08 PM »
It’s been a long time coming, Maggi, but very excited now that it’s on the horizon!   ;D
Matt Topsfield

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:55:38 PM »
Matt

Good news for you.

I installed a lean to (7 x 12 feet) attached to the south side of my home.

Two things I ran into.

The awning windows are opened with a crank which once the benches were installed make it hard to reach the crank. 

I used the height of my kitchen counter as a guide for the construction of the greenhouse benches and a  stainless steel plunge a top of another bench.  You want to make sure it's at a comfortable height.  Also you should be able to reach the far back of the bench without throwing out your back.

As far as heating, not sure what you will need.  I installed a concrete floor with a radiant tubing in it.  It keeps the greenhouse at 45 F even though we have 10 F outside so far this winter. 

The furnace makes hot water for our domestic use and a loop goes to the radiant floor.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:38:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Arnold. Yes, very excited to finally be at this point!

The large roof vents have automatic openers, but will probably be locked shut mostly anyway to prevent gales ripping them off! We always have a good breeze here, so ventilation is not a problem. My current frames never have issues with botrytis etc, with a constant good drying through flow. The Rhino is also well provided with side louvres, which will be open most of the time.

I find our kitchen counter (c. 1m) a little low for me, so something a bit higher (like our breakfast table c.110cm) might be better. It would also bring the wee flowers closer to view.

Planning on plunges 2’ wide, so there shouldn’t be a problem reaching the back easily.

Despite being pretty far north, we are on the west coast and bathed in the Gulf Stream, so our winters are very mild. We rarely have frosts here, let alone big freezes. However, I will be putting soil warming cables into the plunges, just as a precaution. General space heating won’t be needed.

Will start a thread to share progress as it happens.

Thanks!
Matt Topsfield

ArnoldT

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 02:18:08 AM »
Matt

Sounds good.

I had experimented with black plastic 5 gallon pails for heat storage.  It worked a bit but our lows were too low for the heat storage to help that much.

I mixed sharp sand and grit for the plunges.  I put a hole on one end and had a pipe attached just in case I needed to drain water.  Put an old wine  bottle cork in it.

I had a commercial kitchen supply place  fabricate the plunge out of stainless steel.

He hadn't  done anything like that before and I think he was excited to do something out of the ordinary.

Yes do start a thread.  I think you will see that folks have encountered many of the same challenges you have.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
Matt

Good choice - I put up a Rhino in the garden 14 years ago (definitely a two person job, especially when it comes to the positioning roofing glass!). I put in Two Wests plunge bed at 36" (90cm) high and 36"(90cm) width and find it comfortable; I'm just over 6ft, if they were higher the 90 cm reach might have proved awkward however if your width is to be 60cm then 110cm height might be preferable, you could always order strips of varying height from a steel stockholder (some can supply aluminium) and insert within the boundary of the existing plunge frame to give additional height without the additional costs from Two Wests for a bespoke height. I've never needed to open roof vents here in central Scotland (200m asl) as I had extra side slats installed to ensure good circulation and keep the double doors open during summer and bright winter days. Heat cables and insulation are a good idea as I found the plunge bed (sharp sand mainly) froze once we got below -8-10C. 
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

brianw

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
I am not sure the paint finish on aluminium greenhouses is anything other than decoration; in a normal climate. My current greenhouse is 2 1970's BACO professional models joined together. 8 x 8 + 12 x 8 feet with internal dividing wall. Using ONLY aluminium (or maybe stainless steel) fittings and keep it clean(ish) and it will certainly be still usable long after I am gone. I don't live near the sea or in a heavily polluted area so can't comment on that. I have not had the courage to ask about an 8 x 12 that I left in my previous garden. Did I see some of it in a skip when passing a while back ? ;-( Hope it was recycled. I did take all the benches with me ;-)
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

ArnoldT

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 05:25:53 PM »
My greenhouse has powder coated frames on exposed metal.

We are in a heavy pollution area I would guess with traffic and other pollutants.

So after after 10 years looks OK.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
Matt

Good choice - I put up a Rhino in the garden 14 years ago (definitely a two person job, especially when it comes to the positioning roofing glass!). I put in Two Wests plunge bed at 36" (90cm) high and 36"(90cm) width and find it comfortable; I'm just over 6ft, if they were higher the 90 cm reach might have proved awkward however if your width is to be 60cm then 110cm height might be preferable, you could always order strips of varying height from a steel stockholder (some can supply aluminium) and insert within the boundary of the existing plunge frame to give additional height without the additional costs from Two Wests for a bespoke height. I've never needed to open roof vents here in central Scotland (200m asl) as I had extra side slats installed to ensure good circulation and keep the double doors open during summer and bright winter days. Heat cables and insulation are a good idea as I found the plunge bed (sharp sand mainly) froze once we got below -8-10C.

Thanks, Fraser.
I’ve settle on a maximum plunge height of 36” as anything higher than this will impinge on the louvres. I don’t anticipate using the roof vents myself either, primarily because they would be the part most at risk of being ripped off by outer Hebridean breezes. I’ll also be adding in extra louvres. We rarely get any frosts or prolonged freezes, but I do plan to install heat cables for frost protection from the outset just as a precaution.
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »
I am not sure the paint finish on aluminium greenhouses is anything other than decoration; in a normal climate. My current greenhouse is 2 1970's BACO professional models joined together. 8 x 8 + 12 x 8 feet with internal dividing wall. Using ONLY aluminium (or maybe stainless steel) fittings and keep it clean(ish) and it will certainly be still usable long after I am gone. I don't live near the sea or in a heavily polluted area so can't comment on that. I have not had the courage to ask about an 8 x 12 that I left in my previous garden. Did I see some of it in a skip when passing a while back ? ;-( Hope it was recycled. I did take all the benches with me ;-)

Hi Brian,
Rhino provide a 25 year guarantee on the powder-coated finishes, so I think it does add some level of protection. We’re 200yds from the sea, so salt exposure could be an issue, as could abrasion by wind-blown sand. The added cost is pennies over 25 years. It will also fit in with the colour of our other garden structures. 
Matt Topsfield

Graeme

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »
Matt

Yes the benches should fit as the greenhouse will be about 16'6" and about 10'4" wide

Just make sure you have power and water - all my buildings have tube lights with the switch above the doors - screwfix have/had some good deals on for 5' and 6' twin and single IP LED lights

I tend to build the benches out of wood - but we have  two decent wood yards in the area who will actually cut items for me - the Two Wests benches are the ones of my dreams.......
(my benches are 30" high - and then 6" tray on top - 36" wide)

The powder coating is superb - but again plain aluminium tends to get a grey surface and I have never had an issue with it deteriorating or rotting - I have a couple of elite buildings I have had for 35+ years and a Robinson which is older.  The glass in the Robinson is that old, it has an 'oil stain mottling' on the glass in places.

I did help a neighbour put up a Rhino last spring - as I have glass lifters and all the tools - it did go together very well and is very strong - that was a pale English green? - and she had their coloured benching as well

Will be interested to see the progress photos ;D   

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 10:46:13 PM »
Matt

Yes the benches should fit as the greenhouse will be about 16'6" and about 10'4" wide

Just make sure you have power and water - all my buildings have tube lights with the switch above the doors - screwfix have/had some good deals on for 5' and 6' twin and single IP LED lights

I tend to build the benches out of wood - but we have  two decent wood yards in the area who will actually cut items for me - the Two Wests benches are the ones of my dreams.......
(my benches are 30" high - and then 6" tray on top - 36" wide)

The powder coating is superb - but again plain aluminium tends to get a grey surface and I have never had an issue with it deteriorating or rotting - I have a couple of elite buildings I have had for 35+ years and a Robinson which is older.  The glass in the Robinson is that old, it has an 'oil stain mottling' on the glass in places.

I did help a neighbour put up a Rhino last spring - as I have glass lifters and all the tools - it did go together very well and is very strong - that was a pale English green? - and she had their coloured benching as well

Will be interested to see the progress photos ;D   

Thank you Graeme.

I’ve actually been persuaded to go for the slightly larger 12’ wide model, as it’ll allow a bit more circulation space and a wider central bed.

Power won’t be wired in straight away, but provision will be made for ducting, electrics board etc. from the outset so there’ll be some overhead lights and heat cables as a precaution despite our usually very mild winters. Water is already close by and it’ll be easy to run a spur in.

Will start a thread in due course and will also share what we’ve done so far.
Matt Topsfield

Graeme

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 12:24:55 AM »
Thank you Graeme.

I’ve actually been persuaded to go for the slightly larger 12’ wide model, as it’ll allow a bit more circulation space and a wider central bed.

Power won’t be wired in straight away, but provision will be made for ducting, electrics board etc. from the outset so there’ll be some overhead lights and heat cables as a precaution despite our usually very mild winters. Water is already close by and it’ll be easy to run a spur in.

Will start a thread in due course and will also share what we’ve done so far.
I have been meaning to put a thread up for a while and did not want to hijack yours - I just like to see how people have their building setup :)

Two Wests is only a short drive from where I live, and I do go on occasions when I need bits and spares and have always found them to be very helpful
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal