We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now September 2007  (Read 51287 times)

Gene Mirro

Re: Flowering now September 2007
« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2007, 09:05:47 PM »
My favorite Gentians blooming in September-October:  Gentianopsis crinita and an 18-year-old plant of Gentiana asclepiadaea, growing in a dryish, mostly shaded spot.

Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #256 on: October 07, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »
I like that Gentianopsis Gene. I've seen nothing like it before. Can it be grown happily from seed?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gene Mirro

« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
The Gentianopsis flowers are stunningly beautiful to my eye.  They seem a little unreal to me.  They are like an artist's version of what an ideal wildflower would look like. 

They are a delicate, weak-growing biennial plant.  Some seeds germinate in Fall, some in Spring.  For the first year, the plants are small and barely seem to be growing.  They need protection from Everything.  I find that they need to be treated more like a bog plant than an alpine:  lots of water, not too hot, part shade, regular feeding.  They may like lime.  In the second year, if they are happy, they will make a "big" rosette of leaves in Spring, and a flowering stem in late Summer.  In Portland, they bloom in September and October.  It may be best to grow them in the greenhouse, even though they are very hardy, since they seem to disappear over winter outdoors in my climate.  They also seem to need hand pollination, if you want seed.

I don't know if they are producing seed, but if they are, I would be happy to share some. 
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »
Gene,

Glorious colour.  I love the arrangement with the flowers all along the arching stem.  Very beautiful plant!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal